Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing Live BBC2 NOW

Gina

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well too many presenters all trying to talk over each other, and just 6 mins dedicated to stargazing, they should have changed the title this year, to "three days about the ISS"

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but it had nothing to do with stargazing, I realise the weather controls that, but they still could discuss stargazing equipment, techniques and such like.

They didn't even bother with the usual photo board, where they stick the viewers photos up, instead she stayed sat down and showed just her three favourites, it was as if the stargazing bit got in the way of talking about the ISS.....that's the way it seems anyway.

And from tonight onwards the after show, which I used to enjoy, has now been pre recorded apparently, so no sending in questions to get answered...... :(

Rant over

AB

I have to say i did enjoy it, accepted the disproportionate amount of time spent on ISS (not too sure about the comedian in the astronaut training bit). For me there was just enough actual astro stuff to balance it. It would be interesting to see viewing figures if they're ever published. I really do hope this isn't the last one.

I agree with the comments above.  The ISS stuff hardly told us any more than several other programmes on the same subject.  I too was disappointed by the lack of actual stargazing content.  We have had a few clear nights over the last year and I'm sure not everyone has a muddy bog with standing water between house and observatory :happy6:

I think the clue is in the title; 'Live'.  I'm not fussed either way if it draws me in or not, but I find it quite infectious, especially Carly's contribution.  What's more important in my book is that it draws in newcomers to the field and I don't think many of us on this forum can call ourselves that.  It's important for its outreach potential and I'm sure Tim Peake would whole heartedly agree with that.

Although better than most of the brain pap that passes as tv, I don't feel inspired. When it's so easy to go out and spot planets, constellations and comet Catalina by eye ,or minimal gear , much more should be included.

Even how these endless comedians got into astronomy ,would be interesting.

Nick.

What's more important in my book is that it draws in newcomers to the field

Personally, I draw a distinction between amateur astronomy (i.e. someone using a telescope to see stuff - either visually or by imaging) and "space". Rockets, cosmology, astrophysics, exploration - they seem to me to be very different fields of interest from the personal experience of first-hand observing.

That's my hobby: not those other topics.

Just watched it on i player...........dont think i will be staying in to watch the rest,just my opinion,maybe they should leave the "live" bit out of the title and concentrate on actual amateur astronomy,equipment ect..proper backyard astronomy.

It went off immediately after John Bishop's name was mentioned ...  :evil7:

I have to admit to misgivings about his presence too.  He appears to be the current "celebrity presenter" of choice when they want someone with no knowledge of the subject matter.

James

To be honest, I don't think we're really the target audience. One of the key aims of this type of programme seems to be to inspire the audeince to want to find out more. We're already hooked!

If getting a comedian or other celeb in to help attract the target audience works with their target audience, who am I to argue.

I like Stargazing Live - it's done a great job for the hobby.  Always enjoy Dara.  But the ISS thing was overdone - must confess I find it a dull subject in any case - and you did get the sense this year the budget has been cut limiting their ambition.

If getting a comedian or other celeb in to help attract the target audience works with their target audience, who am I to argue.

Have no issues with that , just find one that's a tad amusing is all I'd ask ( and without the dreadful scouse accent ) 

It went off immediately after John Bishop's name was mentioned ...  :evil7:

Why on earth would John Bishop bother you Steve. It's not as though he's a clown in real life,

he makes people laugh for a living.

What's more he made a huge Contribution to Sports Relief, raising 4,2 Million quid.

He's an Intelligent guy too, certainly nobody's fool.

If you don't like the man, then that is your perogative, but you really shouldn't

deride anyone, switching off your Telly should have been enough without making that comment here.

No offence, I just find your criticism unjustified.

I don't like Dara, I have difficulty understanding him sometimes, but I carried on watching the show,

it was good despite him fronting it.

I caught up with the "Down to Earth" on iPlayer this morning and thought it better than the main prog. They're both on an hour too late IMHO, I'd rather they were on at 8 o/c like spring / Autumn Watch.

I find the whole obsession with Tim and the ISS a bit sad really, that we should have to make such a fuss about something that should be no more out of the ordinary than a 6 month tour in Antarctica.

I thought they could have done more for the amateur astronomy enthusiast, a rather sad looking bunch of my comrades (members of Macc Astro Soc.) set up in the rain outside didn't really add much glamor to the hobby ;-)  Perhaps chatting with them, more time looking at the gear and images would have helped - inside out of the rain!

ChrisH

I have to admit it was this programme that got me started  it fired up the imagination so I look forward to it, but it did go on about the ISS  to much last night and the only fly in the ointment for me is Dara Obrien, I just dont get why he,s there TBH but he is and thats that. More focus on actual stargazing and keeping it simple suits me down to the ground

I have to admit it was this programme that got me started  it fired up the imagination so I look forward to it, but it did go on about the ISS  to much last night and the only fly in the ointment for me is Dara Obrien, I just dont get why he,s there TBH but he is and thats that. More focus on actual stargazing and keeping it simple suits me down to the ground

He  (DoB) has background in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics?

Archived