Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Medway

chrisormerod

hello all and a happy new year to you all.

I recently purchased my first telescope. Well my second but my little table top first scope dob that didnt really do much other than get some nice shots of the moon and blobs. So i went and bought a little 76-700 to get started with. Wife actually made sense when she was with me. why buy a huge beast when i dont really know what im doing. work my way up and get used to it first then buy the big one next year. i just received a phone holder to take a couple of snaps of what im looking at and to document what ive been looking at and to kind of show some progress as to what ive been looking at. been abit cloudy and wet the last couple of weeks so havent really been out since buying it apart from the day i bought it getting some good views of the moon with my wife and 7 year old son who loved it. hopefully I can get to grips with finding my targets as I have lots of apps to help me find the targets of interest. ill hopefully be putting up a few snaps from my phone of what i've been looking at that particular night as the adaptor i've bought is quite good and manages to hold my brick of galaxy note 3 so it should get a half decent shot of something.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome from Rochester.

I personally think (because I done it) that investing in a more expensive scope (if you can) is well worth doing first providing you have the information you need! Can be quite daunting at first.

I brought a celestron Astromaster for my first scope. As soon as I got a glimpse of Saturn and Jupiter I sold it.

Needed to see it clearer! I now have an SW 127Mak with a goto scope and a few extras now. That cost me 300+ now I still want bigger!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome from another in Kent (just)

Don't know if you are aware but there is an astro club in your area, good place to go for advice before spending more money :)

Dave

http://www.midkentastro.org.uk/

thank you for this. this is why I went for the cheap option to start with as there are so many to choose from around the 200-300 mark and having people that have been there and done it will help massively.

Thanks

A big welcome all the way from a snowy Bulgaria, I was born in Chatham and went to Highfield school which I do not believe is there now or it's called something else. I left the area in 1971, I still think about the place. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Alan

Thank you all for the welcome. Just been out between the clouds and had a quick look at orions nebula which with my telescope isn't brilliant but I could pick out the outline of it but could really see much else still quite exciting to spot something other than the moon for a change. Now te wait for Jupiter to swing by closer to get a real good look at that hopefully

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting your telescope and look forward to reading about your progress as your observational reports come in

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Archived