Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASTEROID 2015 TB145, with animation

Hi folks,

I managed to capture the asteroid 2105 TB145, this morning. A surprise clear patch between 3 and 4 am. Here's the result of a series of 10 second exposures with my SXVF-H9 cam and 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian. A bit rough and ready. I'm hopefully moving soon to darker skies in the country. Time for a new CCD, I think!

I downloaded the latest asteroid data into Carte du Ciel (over 800,000 asteroids in the database!), did a GOTO, and there it was, right where it was supposed to be. Apparently it was around 3.2 million km away at the time, travelling at 37 km/s. As you can see, it's fairly motoring along and will appear a lot faster tonight. The faintest stars in this view are about 14th magnitude. The asteroid would have been around mag 12.

Enlarged view:

22608864456_74b73865f9_o.gif

Full frame:

22608863756_376d51f37a_c.jpg

So if it's 300000km away tonight what magnitude will it be?

Apparently about the same magnitude (12 ish) early evening, fading very rapidly to mag 16 around midnight. Catch it while you can!

Well caught, had a go a couple of nights ago but no luck, Moon not helping.

Is your camera mono if so which filter did you use

Dave

Cheers folks. Yes, it's a mono cam. Just used an IR filter.

... or rather how fast was it appearing to move?

It was travelling at around 1 arc-second per second, or about the diameter of the moon every 30 minutes. Therefore the still image shows the trail being about 10 arc-seconds long.

....if I've got my maths correct!

It was travelling at around 1 arc-second per second, or about the diameter of the moon every 30 minutes. Therefore the still image shows the trail being about 10 arc-seconds long.

....if I've got my maths correct!

Thanks! Pretty speedy then [emoji3]

• 5 weeks later...

Archived