NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 and the Trapezium

ollypenrice

It never fails, does it? What an object. Because of the early moon I made a rendez-vous with the guests for two o'clock in the morning and we headed, bleary-eyed, straight for M42 in the 20 inch. At 158x the 13 Ethos still gives a decent field and the aperture means everything is bright enough. On the first visit we couldn't make the E star but an hour or so later, with Orion higher, there it was blinking in and out of view depending on the moment. For quite long spells it would remain easy, though.  This chap has done a great job of presenting it. http://www.samirkharusi.net/trapezium.html

I'm sure that a good long look at M42 would cure most ailments. The annual return of an old friend.

Olly

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olly? In the observing section? Could it be you have been lured back to the light side ;):D

Nice report. I am a bit surprised that the E star should be hard in a 20". I have picked it up with my C8 before, and even F made an occasional showing under good conditions

I'm often out there peering through glass! Once I've got the imaging rigs running nicely (said he, as if doing so were something that never took more than a couple of curse-free easy moments...) I'm out Dobbing or binning or naked eyeing the sky. 

I can't say I've often chased the E star so I don't know how hard it is on a typical night. It was certainly better when higher, though. I guess it's mostly about seeing.

Olly

When I started all this, my mind was on imaging only. I thought to myself "there's only so many times you can look at the same object". Much like getting bored with the same 4 walls every day.

However, once my imaging is underway, rule number 1 don't go near it, rule number 2 is don't touch it or even look at it.

So I thought, I need a reason to sit outside whilst the camera does its thing.

Voila - go and buy a big scope.

So now I have a 12" SW and am quite happy to scan the skies.

Glad I did.

I know! At one point I would like to get my imaging gear (Modded EOS450D + APM 80mm F/6 + TRF2008 0.8x focal reducer on the Great Polaris mount now modded with ST-4 port) clicking away gently whilst I have a look at other things with the C8 (or bins, or in the future a big dob). I think my density of swearing will be a bit higher than yours for the foreseeable future.

Nice report Olly on an old favourite :smiley:

I can see E & F with my ED120 refractor usually and on very good nights I've seen both with my 4" Vixen but usually it's just E. F can be tricky because it's close to the brghtest star in the group, C.

I've yet to make any progress with G, I and H but they are mag 15 !

The whole nebula is a lovely object and the winter deep sky showpiece really :smiley:

Nice report Olly on an old favourite :smiley:

I can see E & F with my ED120 refractor usually and on very good nights I've seen both with my 4" Vixen but usually it's just E. F can be tricky because it's close to the brghtest star in the group, C.

I've yet to make any progress with G, I and H but they are mag 15 !

The whole nebula is a lovely object and the winter deep sky showpiece really :smiley:

Yes, the big Dob is probably not my best bet for F. I'll have a pop in the TEC when I can spare it from imaging.

Olly

I got my first glance at it during my eclipse session - noticed it had risen nicely above the trees at about 3:30 - 4am. Can't wait until it's nice and high at 10:30-11pm.

Are there any filters that work well on this, or is just as good unaided?

I got my first glance at it during my eclipse session - noticed it had risen nicely above the trees at about 3:30 - 4am. Can't wait until it's nice and high at 10:30-11pm.

A UHC filter will enhance it. 

It's worth viewing through both O-III and UHC filter if you have them because they show it differently. I'd hesistate to say "better" because the unfiltered view is delightful as well :smiley:

I found a DGM NBP filter (a UHC filter) enabled the more distant tendrils of the nebula to be traced out a little further. Personally I've found an O-III filter tends to over-enhance some portions of the nebula for my taste but maybe thats just me ?.

The filters don't seem to help with seeing E & F Trapezium though.

Looking forward to having a first proper session on M42 with my 15" this winter - will be trying for E and F :) I've had amazing views through my 250px - strong green colour, with the most amazing 3D like effect one memorable night with such detail in the nebulosity... must have been a really rare transparent + steady night.

Looking forward to having a first proper session on M42 with my 15" this winter - will be trying for E and F :) I've had amazing views through my 250px - strong green colour, with the most amazing 3D like effect one memorable night with such detail in the nebulosity... must have been a really rare transparent + steady night.

No colour for me but our guest reported it.

Olly

Nice post Olly

I particularly enjoyed the link the Samir's website in Oman.

Re. I had a squint at M42 the other night with the OIII in. It enhances the nebulosity to such an extent that I couldn't see the Trapezium!

The unfiltered, dark sky view is still my favourite. I'll have to try E/F with my little frac. The Dob struggles.

Paul

sometimes I find if I back off the magnification a bit, the F star is more obvious. 

I agree Shane. There seems to be a "goldilocks" magnification for this task. For me I've found something around 7mm-8mm in eyepiece focal length works best.

Olly's big mirror may not equalize or may suffer from boundary layer issues preventing the spotting of those stars :dontknow: . The VX10 will spot the faint ones with a 17mm EP but seems to like a 12.5mm for an all round nice view of them.

What's amazing is how much mag the core will handle.... and it shows green to me (unfiltered) for a very unique ghostly view. M42 is an attention getter for sure :smiley:

Archived