Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 and the Trapezium

ollypenrice

Nice report Olly on an old favourite :smiley:

I can see E & F with my ED120 refractor usually and on very good nights I've seen both with my 4" Vixen but usually it's just E. F can be tricky because it's close to the brghtest star in the group, C.

I've yet to make any progress with G, I and H but they are mag 15 !

The whole nebula is a lovely object and the winter deep sky showpiece really :smiley:

That's interesting John. I never managed to get the E and F stars in my 120 ED, I did see them however, only on one occasion, while using my FS 128. As you've managed to see them in your 4" Vixen, that gives me hope that I might be able to catch them in my 4" Tak.

Mike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting John. I never managed to get the E and F stars in my 120 ED, I did see them however, only on one occasion, while using my FS 128. As you've managed to see them in your 4" Vixen, that gives me hope that I might be able to catch them in my 4" Tak.

Mike

On a good night Mike, I'm sure you will. E & F are not readily available with the ED102 Vixen although F can usually be spotted. F needs a "real good un" :smiley:

They are more routine with my ED120 although you still have to get the magnification in the right ball park and observe with some care of course.

You certainly have the skills from the observations of yours I've read and the sketches I've seen :icon_salut:

Back in Australia I had no problem with E and F in my TEC140 but Orion was Waaaayyyy higher in the sky there. I've yet to give it a go from here in old blighty (too busy renovating the new house to set the scope up!) but as John says, quality of seeing is probably the key as much as anything  :)

post-37954-0-88608600-1445931787_thumb.j

That's neat ! I have seen the green glow of the nebulosity here. Getting E is the easiest, F, I find more difficult.

Oh for young eyes ! My granddaughter (7) was up last night looking through the Dob. She spotted the colours of Albireo, some colour to M57 . Then she asked why all the stars were different colours. That was with the full Moon,

Nick.

sometimes I find if I back off the magnification a bit, the F star is more obvious. 

Shane gave me that advice a couple of years back, and I found that I couldn't see E or F with a 5mm BST (in my 1200mm focal length 250px), but with an 8mm they popped right out. Less is more, I guess.

Shane gave me that advice a couple of years back, and I found that I couldn't see E or F with a 5mm BST (in my 1200mm focal length 250px), but with an 8mm they popped right out. Less is more, I guess.

I find 8mm the "right" eyepiece for E & F as well.

Interesting. I had discarded any hope of seeing them if the ED100+ owners were struggling even with their lovely pin point stars.

My SW 250 goes nice and deep, but I had always assumed that it would be hopeless at faint companion stars given the scatter from brighter neighbours. I guess it is about minimising the scatter by getting good seeing and choosing the right mag. Then the aperture can get to work!

Paul

...My SW 250 goes nice and deep, but I had always assumed that it would be hopeless at faint companion stars given the scatter from brighter neighbours. I guess it is about minimising the scatter by getting good seeing and choosing the right mag. Then the aperture can get to work!

Paul

I think you have every chance of success. It was my 12" dob that split Sirius for me. I've still not managed it with my refractors :rolleyes2:

To much light polution here to see E and F but I did just pick them out with eyepiece projection.

One sec exposure, ED80, Canon 60Da attacked to a Baader zoom at 8mm.

E is just visible and F is a slight faint hump in C, even at 1second the trailing was bad. :grin:

trapezium.jpg

Archived