Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from new member in Manchester

Les N

Hi all my name is Les, I have had a telescope for probably going on for 12 months but have been steadily adding to the collection of equipment which seems strangely addictive. I started my little collection with my Meade ETX 105. I have collected different things since like webcams and fittings to attach my SLR camera to my telescope. Probably like most of you on here I soon wanted a better scope but my tight budget (very tight) restricted the possibilities. I found a Celestron C6 SCT OTA, but that was the OTA on it's own though and the chances of an affordable tripod and mount didn't seem too likely. However I also spotted a Gazer GEM 1 mount and tripod with it's motors and hand control at a reasonable price so I purchased the telescope and mount set up. I am a complete beginner at astronomy so while you all probably are thinking "not the best gear" it has got me started and I have even managed some reasonable photographs, again not a high standard but what I feel is a good quality for a start with some nice clear shots of the moon. I have recently also purchased an Ascension StarSky 90 at a very good price, I am not sure where it stands in the quality ratings but it seems to give good wider views which has given me a different view than my other scopes and impressed me with the depth of the sky and stars that I can see.

I have even collected a Vixen GP mount along the way but it has no motors fitted and though I have the weight bar I have no weights to fit it either. Maybe in future I can get these but I don't know yet what I would have to look for to get motors that would fit.

Any way I will be kicked right off here for being too boring if I am not careful so just wanted to say hi to everyone.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Les. Whatever equipment you use the main thing is to enjoy the views you see. I'm a newbie on here too, but have been doing astronomy on and off since I was about 14. Used some cheap scopes, and some expensive ones too, but whichever I used I always enjoyed the views. Sounds like your off to a really good start anyway.

Hi Les and welcome to SGL, it seems you have a liking for Astrophotography, or at least you would like to go down that route, before you invest in more bits and pieces, I and many others on this forum, would heartily recommend you obtain a copy of Steve Richards book, "Making Every Photon Count" see FLO top of the page. Probably the most widely used book on Astrophotography, that most of our experienced imagers to those just getting their feet wet, have been raised on. Enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :) 

Hi Les, welcome to SGL, with 12 Months behind you already, some folk can already learn from your  experiences, as they may looking at  the  same equipment you have already tried  Your time spent with that equipment could  help others make  their decisions a little easier?

The book mentioned is a good informative read, should you venture down the path with camera and telescope.

Enjoy your time here.  

Thank you all for your messages and helpful information. Sorry it has took me so long to reply but I have been working some long hours this week so not been able to get on here. Astrophotography does hold an interest for me, as an airbrush artist I suppose all imagery does hold an importance for me and recording what I see appeals also. I also have an interest in normal photography so being able to photograph the skies is interesting.

Hi Les. Whatever equipment you use the main thing is to enjoy the views you see. I'm a newbie on here too, but have been doing astronomy on and off since I was about 14. Used some cheap scopes, and some expensive ones too, but whichever I used I always enjoyed the views. Sounds like your off to a really good start anyway.

Before I bought my first scope I wondered if it would be worth it, would there be much to see up there...... I am glad I bought it because there is lots to see and it is amazing. Going out and enjoying the views is so relaxing and rewarding.

Archived