Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar alignment - what am I doing wrong?

I've been through the process of aligning the polar scope to the mount, fairly sure I have that part done (in daylight).  Tonight when I looked through the polar scope I could see a bright star in the centre but couldn't recognise Cassiopia or The Plough, just looked like random stars to me.  Am I just not looking properly?  It is super-awkward to look through the polar scope, really hurts my knees!  I could hardly walk for quite a while afterwards, just had to hobble around the garden (walked into an apple hanging off a tree face-first as well).

I've read Astro-baby's guide but that made no sense to me whatsoever, it talked about twiddling knobs that I don't think my CG-4 has, or she called them names I've never heard before.  Tried the official Celestron CG-4 polar alignment instructions tonight but just couldn't see the constellations.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't see the constellations through the polar scope, it's field of view is much too narrow, they're on the reticle just to give you an idea where Polaris is when you look at the sky with your naked eye.

The way I do it is I just check where abouts to put the little circle on the reticle at the time/date you're observing (I use the polar align app) then move the little circle to that position by turning the RA axis, then use the alt ax bolts to put Polaris on that little circle... Thats good enough for visual

Wow, that small detail was never explained in any of the guides I've read, I did wonder how the polar scope would be able to see such a wide field (obviously, it can't).

Do I still need to use the setting circles when polar aligning?  Tonight I just rotated the RA so that the small circle was where Polaris was, and I used the bolts to fine adjust the mount as described in the Celestron guide.

Thank you!

You need to be roughly aligned to the NCP... Then target Polaris... You guys have it easy... Imagine aligning to the SCP... No pole star... Just 4 very very dim stars around the SCP, Octans, that you need to line up... Still it's very doable... As with everything, it takes practice, but believe me that polar aligning is not hard at all once you work it out.... It's quit easy, time consuming for AP, quite quick for observation, but easy.

Wow, that small detail was never explained in any of the guides I've read, I did wonder how the polar scope would be able to see such a wide field (obviously, it can't).

Do I still need to use the setting circles when polar aligning?  Tonight I just rotated the RA so that the small circle was where Polaris was, and I used the bolts to fine adjust the mount as described in the Celestron guide.

Thank you!

The RA hour/date circles are used to calculate the position of polaris relative to the NCP (north celestial pole) for any given date & time... but if you can find out that position by another means then you don't need them. 

To get Polaris' position I use polar align app on my iPhone but any planetarium program will do.  Just switch the RA/DEC grid overlay on, zoom in to see the NCP and polaris together then adjust the time to the time you'll be observing.  EG, for 8pm tonight polaris will be at about half past 4 o'clock position in it's orbit relative to the NCP (remember to account for the inverted view through most polar scopes!)

If you are just doing visual, plonk polaris on the cross hairs in the middle of the FoV of the Polar Scope.

We need a fool proof guide on Polar Alignment; as said above it's dead easy, just an odd concept to get your head around initially.

James

If you are just doing visual, plonk polaris on the cross hairs in the middle of the FoV of the Polar Scope.

We need a fool proof guide on Polar Alignment; as said above it's dead easy, just an odd concept to get your head around initially.

James

Agreed!  I wasted so much time trying to get my head around the RA setting circles components and associated concepts (polaris transit, hour angle, longitude offset etc...) and when I finally did I realised you don't even need them when you've got the internet in your pocket!

Considering theres so much slop and inaccuracy inherent in the setting circles on the basic mounts they're pretty much useless anyway.

Craig

I'm fortunate in that the setting circle on the RA axis of my mount is actually useful; it appears accurate, and allows the use to fix it in one position and move the RA axis independantly of it. Mine is set up so I can pretty accurately Polar Align using the hour angle which the handset tells me when I boot up, so I don't even need the internet any more to accurately polar align. The other option is to use the handset routine to polar align, but this is made easier if the mount is roughly polar aligned initially.

I actually enjoy polar aligning now, it is semi-rewarding!

James

Just as a side note.. when using an app (I use 'scope help' created by a member on this forum) I have the choice of doing a 'vertical flip' and/or a 'horizontal flip' for where the circle will appear and I could not figure out what is the actual inverted view in a polar scope ? Is it standard for all mount ?

I added to my to-do list that I should check during daytime and make a note ;)

Hi Jonathan, if it is at all helpful pick the relevant parts out of this (Section C) for the HEQ5 but the principle is the same for EQ mounts.  I have posted it a few times for folks.  As Olly says you need to adjust for the local instant.  This is why you use your free eye to look at the night sky and with your other eye on the polar scope align with the relevant constellations.  You are then set (no fancy Apps required).  There is an excellent diagram of it in the SW handbook.

HEQ5 Setup - My Step by Step_clean.doc

I think I'll do a bit with my mechanical-engineering hat on - see if I can't find a way to attach a 90° diagonal-mirror on a polar-scope.....

My knees don't much care for paying homage to a mount.

Manañas -

Dave

There's another thread somewhere on how to use cheap right angle finder for a DSLR for this - as an example - I've attached one to my EQ5 polar scope simply by hot gluing it to a 32mm pipe stop end from B&Q

found them:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/175692-polar-scope-mod-with-right-angle-finder/

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/4108-right-angle-polar-scope-viewer/

My own PA is done using the Guide Scope, its aligned to the main scope, so the Syscan handset has a PA option i run this and watch the pc screen to re centre the chosen star (not polaris) run through this a couple of times and 20 minute images with a flat'ish PHD graph are normal, i just sit in my seat next to the mount while doing any adjustments....

You need to be roughly aligned to the NCP... Then target Polaris... You guys have it easy... Imagine aligning to the SCP... No pole star... Just 4 very very dim stars around the SCP, Octans, that you need to line up... Still it's very doable... As with everything, it takes practice, but believe me that polar aligning is not hard at all once you work it out.... It's quit easy, time consuming for AP, quite quick for observation, but easy.

......well.......stuff that........that's why I bought a Paramount!

I think I'll do a bit with my mechanical-engineering hat on - see if I can't find a way to attach a 90° diagonal-mirror on a polar-scope.....

My knees don't much care for paying homage to a mount.

Manañas -

Dave

Being in the States Dave, you should be able to come across a s/h Nikon Dr3 or a Canon B both right angle camera fittings, at a reasonable price. These are easily converted to the eye piece end of polar scope or straight through finder, as they have circular bosses at the camera attachment point. Glue and tubes of the correct size and you have a DIY adapter. It works well as I have converted both a finder scope and Polar scope, using these camera accessories :)

Archived