Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar scope mod with right angle finder

glowjet

There has recently been some discussion elsewhere on the availability of right angle Polar scopes, these can be had for expensive mounts in the USA, but cost upwards of some $400 a bang, which is is a bit on the high side. I recently had an idea of converting my own Canon right angle correct image finder accessory, to use with my polar scope. Initial experiments with holding the RT finder to the Polar scope in daylight proved excellent, so I am in the process ( jobs to be done ) to make an adapter to fit both together. as I have a lathe this is no problem for me, as I can turn a special unit out of Acetol. But for those who do not have such facilities the following DIY may help : Seagull offer an alternative to the Canon unit, which is a bit on the expensive side, these can be had for less than £30 and they can also be found even cheaper s/h. They come with a number of adapters which will fit the unit to most cameras, take the largest one and cut off, or file away, the part which attaches to the other camera leaving the protruding fitting for the RT finder and a now flat base. Find a nice strong cap either metal or hard plastic which is a nice firm fit over the Polar scope eye piece, if it is a bit large glue a felt strip inside, this is the best method of making a good snug fit anyway. Bore a hole in the centre of the cap large enough to allow the full cone of light through, line up the holes of both parts and epoxy and bolt the adapter unit onto your cap, with a couple of very small countersunk head bolts and nuts, obtainable from most model shops, one of these will need counter sinking to stop fouling of the finder shoe. the little bolts are a precaution against glue joint failure, as epoxy does not always bond well on some materials. You may think of an alternative method of fixing, the choice is yours, but your kneeling days in the wet and those awkward positions you got into will be a thing of the past :)

John.

No pics at the moment but if you hold your seagull RT finder up to the end of the eye piece of the polar scope in daylight you should be able to see any target you point at quite clearly. At the moment the only way I can visualize adapting it for use on the scope, is to find a cap that will fit over the PS eye piece, drill a hole large enough to allow the light cone through, then fix one of the moulded adapters that comes with the RT finder over the hole on the outside of the cap. How you do this is up to you, my suggestion is one way, I do not doubt there are others, the ingenuity of Astronomers to adapt bits and pieces knows no bounds, I agree it is a bit Heath Robinson, but but if you want to avoid the wet knees and awkward positions syndrome, this is one solution, have fun :)

John.

Hi All,if you search ebay you will find an adapter that fits the seagull and has a flat round face,perfect for bonding to your choice of cap,black film canisters are a very good fit.

Here is link to adapter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-eyepiece-adapter-D1-D3-D700-SEAGULL-RIGHT-ANGLE-FINDER-2x-2-5x-3-3x-/261025688058?pt=UK_Photography_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item3cc657e9fa

ATB

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi All  if you check ebay you can buy an adapter that simply screws and clamps on to a pipe end (wickes) adapter and which only needs a round hole drilled in end  cap,its round on one side and has the mating face for a hotshoe fitting on the other,works easily.

Regards

Mike.

• 8 months later...

Archived