NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unfurl - Quark, 2nd July

Luke

Hi folks,

I seem to be going backwards in time :D This one was from Thursday last week, 2nd July. I really liked how the filament by the big spot looked like it was unfurling. Thanks for looking! Luke

PS Processing will still be going slow, I lost 3-2 to Sarah last night at Port Royal :cry:

19525972711_c70c3baf87_o.jpg

19495607306_ecf7800e91_o.jpg

---
AR2373 & AR2376
2nd July, 2015
Equinox 120, Quark Chromosphere, Grasshopper 3 camera (ICX687), 0.5x reducer

Thanks, all!

John, I got lucky with the timing of the Quark. Very nearly got a front etalon (SF70, which would have been lovely but I ideally wanted a fair bit more aperture than my SolarMax 60) and then decided cost was too much for the bigger options, then the very next day I heard about the Quark! It is better than I dared hope for the money, I highly recommend it for visual or imaging, the views with my ED100 take my breath away. It may pair well with a dedicated 35, 50 or 60mm h-alpha scope for best of both worlds though in our case we have gone Quark only, as Sarah and I share options, otherwise if it was just me I might have kept the SM60.

I will miss two things from the SM60, being able to image a full disc in a single tile, and being able to view almost instantly or image from scratch in just a couple of minutes. I have adjusted to life with Quark though and tend to image mornings and set up before Sol clears the trees, so I don't miss much really and I love using the larger aperture. I am also giving up imaging with my 60mm scope as I love using the 120mm and I can get a reasonable dose over the year, my 60mm will be for visual only now, a lovely compact package (Tele Vue 60).

Of course all the options have their own advantages so you can't go too far wrong, smaller is more portable. Larger is more detail. Dedciated h-alpha scope is no integrated Barlow. For me personally, Quark perfectly meets my needs.

Freddie I have to say I have a formiddable foe!! Sarah is great at board games. When we first met she beat me 12 times straight at my favourite game at the time, Hotel :eek:

Alexandra, I was hoping you might have today off, I hope your Quark gets some sunshine too, but so many options you have there :grin:

Archived