Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR Iris Nebula, NGC 7023

MartinFransson

OK, I might as well kickstart my membership here and post another one of my photos :smiley:

This one was last years project - to get enough exposure on the Iris nebula to see the really dusty areas surrounding it.

The data is from four different nights, totalling around 11,5 hours.

This is a reprocess of my data, since I can´t get it the way I want it. This time I pushed the stretching a bit further than I would normally do but I like the end result anyway.

24*300 seconds
56*600 seconds

Canon EOS 1100D (astromod.) @ISO 800
Canon EF 300/4L IS
HEQ5 with guiding (Orion MMAG).

Stacking and some processing (masked stretch, histogram transformation) PixInsight, final processing in Photoshop with Carbonis actions, GradientXTerminator, HLVG and the standard tools.

All in all I´m very pleased with the level of detail considering it´s done with a DSLR. I guess I can thank the cold Swedish winter nights for that. Sensor temps of +1 degree celsius for 10 minute exposures is not all that bad. :cool:

Next season I´ll try to get the same amount of time on another target.

post-45229-0-63103000-1434746136_thumb.j

Thanks charl!

I noticed now that I´ve missed a few reflections in my editing. The Baader filter in my 1100D was not installed properly so I have now sent it back for repair. It caused reflections from bright stars. Hoping it´s fixed now.

That's great. We usually see the dusty stuff to the other side of the Iris because it contains the Praying Ghost nebula but what you've found on 'your' side is really fascinating as well. You've inspired me!

Olly

That's great. We usually see the dusty stuff to the other side of the Iris because it contains the Praying Ghost nebula but what you've found on 'your' side is really fascinating as well. You've inspired me!

Olly

Damn................that is high praise. Olly being inspired by someone else's image?????

Nuff said.

It really is a fantastic image and i love the depth of field in it.

I hope you dont mind me using it as my new wallpaper?.

Olly

This is indeed a warming comment! Having seen some of your fantastic images I feel honoured to have inspired you in any way :)

Being a nature/landscape photographer I tend to think in terms of composition and from my first test shots I saw the framing I wanted.

I´d like to do a pano so I could also get the other side of the nebula but using a DSLR (and having a full time job, a house to renovate and 3 kids) there isn´t enough time :)

Damn................that is high praise. Olly being inspired by someone else's image?????

Nuff said.

It really is a fantastic image and i love the depth of field in it.

I hope you dont mind me using it as my new wallpaper?.

Don´t mind at all! Please let me know if you want it in another aspect ratio or so.

Fantastic detail!

A inspiration to us all me thinks, Stunning

Well done

Paul

Thank you for your comments! It means a lot to me!

Fantastic image. It really is mind boggling how much of the universe can be seen with enough patience (and a healthy dose of skill and knowledge!!)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Archived