Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Frac

10 hours ago, Sunshine said:

In a recent post I said I would just as easily sell my 102 if another refractor came along and stole my heart. As fine as the other refractor may be, I believe I would sorely regret selling this 102, if Sarah knew the things I've said behind her back. 🤐

CD4689B1-CBD1-4C4D-9C68-59C10603E4FA.jpeg

C3FA3AB4-7033-4D38-A3D9-57795537F1DD.jpeg

AD475988-67E6-4C03-9A69-ECF1616F3406.jpeg

Sarah is beautiful. Please do not sell her!

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 23:01, TheThing said:

Little Opticstar 80 I picked up recently for a bit of grab and go, wide field kinda stuff.  Not had a chance to use it yet, but clouds willing.....1543446805_image(2).jpeg.45d224fba8b2fa119a0344c95052974a.jpeg

I'd love one of these, you're lucky to find one!

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 19:16, DaveL59 said:

so what's the tin can for, garnish? 😉 

On 31/10/2022 at 19:41, Ags said:

It's been giving very nice views of Jupiter and Mars and double stars, but haven't had good conditions for DSOs yet.

Planterary views fae a tin can, now that’s clever.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Franklin said:

The big achro looks well on the EQ6, have you had it resprayed? never seen one in white before.

Yes - did it myself. It's a Helios 120mm and a very fine scope for an achro. The EQ6 was subsequently sold as it was too heavy for me to lift.

The 120mm just works on the EQ5 but isn't ideal. Another reason why I went for a 100mm Tak rather than the 120mm - what I can lift rather than what I would like. Scope weight isn't the problem, it's the required mount. EQ5 is on the limit of what my back can tolerate.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thought i might add a photo of my 152mm Altair Starwave ... Its a bit heavy at 9kgs but reasonably short (750mm ) with the dew shield retracted . 

Alas its only been on my SkyTee mount for two very brief sessions as the weather has been quite shocking ... still i like looking at it when its stored in our spare room 😂

Starwave.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Thought i might add a photo of my 152mm Altair Starwave ... Its a bit heavy at 9kgs but reasonably short (750mm ) with the dew shield retracted . 

Alas its only been on my SkyTee mount for two very brief sessions as the weather has been quite shocking ... still i like looking at it when its stored in our spare room 😂

Starwave.jpg

I would absolutely love one of these to go on the AZ-EQ6 opposite the 102 f/7 ED.  Gorgeous scope 😍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

I would absolutely love one of these to go on the AZ-EQ6 opposite the 102 f/7 ED.  Gorgeous scope 😍

i would love to use it Craig ... it seems  the weather gods didnt like me buying it 😂

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 2

Hello,  I am amazed at the number and variety of refractors . They are very special. Because of their very special rendition of the night sky.
My only one is nothing special, although I am in the process of installing a 2 speed focuser..
Presently using a more appropriate mount with a CGX.

refrac.jpeg

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, VNA said:

Hello,  I am amazed at the number and variety of refractors . They are very special. Because of their very special rendition of the night sky.
My only one is nothing special, although I am in the process of installing a 2 speed focuser..

refrac.jpeg

The combination of scope and location is rather special 🙂

The Yosemite Valley and Half Dome mountain I think ? 

11 hours ago, VNA said:

refrac.jpeg

Edited by LDW1

4 hours ago, VNA said:

Those 6" f/8 yard canons are great scopes if mounted appropriately, weighing in at around 8/9Kg the CG5/EQ5 class mounts will hold them but something a little beefier is preferable. I had the SW Evostar version and for low-power, widefield on DS targets it performed very well and no slouch on planetary at higher powers either but the CA starts to intrude a little. I paired mine up with a Baader Contrast Booster filter which worked well.

8 hours ago, VNA said:

refrac.jpeg

I think your scope is special! 

If you read Starlight Nights, the adventures of a stargazer, an autobiography by Leslie C. Peltier, and particularly the chapter entitled The Comet Seeker, I guarantee you'll see your scope as special too. :icon_cyclops_ani:

• Like 2

Hi

I picked up this scope lately. I was looking for a 80mm doublet but went for this as I always wondered what the viewing would be like through a triplet. It gives a clear sky tonight so hopefully I’ll get my first look at the stars

B8EDA55B-0434-439D-AEFF-D9AE61DB943D.jpeg

• Like 7