SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Frac

21 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

She's looking rather beautiful there John, assuming she is a she?

Thanks Mike.

I don't tend to think of scopes that way to be honest with you but the sentiment is appreciated 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Thanks Mike.

I don't tend to think of scopes that way to be honest with you but the sentiment is appreciated 🙂

I clearly angered the goddess of observing with this comment - the clouds thickened quite rapidly after I posted it and now I'm clouded out having just had a few fleeting glimpses of the moon for my troubles. 🙄

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, sqfab said:

My Taka FS102 on GP Vixen mount

That's nice!

I like the way the white GP2 with the older green GP accessories matches the Tak green clamshell, focuser and finder bracket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

FS128 last night after checking out Venus and Mars.

20230510_213942.thumb.jpg.67af452b57456b3cb4b79280638825d2.jpg2023-05-1023_03_01.thumb.jpg.17647c87b2e7d34ccf3119672b2db639.jpg

That FS128 looks enormous! yet you have it mounted on a Vixen GP? is it a GP or a GPDX with higher capacity? it looks a lot like my GP, I never thought that mount could handle a 128.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

FS128 last night after checking out Venus and Mars.

20230510_213942.thumb.jpg.67af452b57456b3cb4b79280638825d2.jpg2023-05-1023_03_01.thumb.jpg.17647c87b2e7d34ccf3119672b2db639.jpg

Back in business hey, Mike. Welcome back to the club.   Excellent 

Regards   John 

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Sunshine said:

That FS128 looks enormous! yet you have it mounted on a Vixen GP? is it a GP or a GPDX with higher capacity? it looks a lot like my GP, I never thought that mount could handle a 128.

You're right, it is a Vixen GP. The mount carried the scope ok, but it is mounted on a steel pier bedded in concrete, and not a flimsy tripod. There's a bit of tremor if I knock it, but i tent not to knock it. Can't afford a new mount just yet, but a Losmandy GM8 would be better.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

FS 128? What’s the story Mike?

Are you sitting comfortably?  

David (Dweller25) invited me over to his place after he'd read my lamenting post about me regretting ever parting with my FS128. He said I could observe through his and rekindle some memories.  On arriving he'd already set up his 128 in his garden and after giving the old girl a thorough ogling (David told me it's a she), I attached my binoviewer and together we spent the next hour or so observing Venus and Mars. Then almost by accident we crossed Castor, which stopped us dead in our tracks.  It was after this that David said he was thinking of selling it as it's getting a bit heavy, and so on the spur of the moment we agreed a price and that was that.  Now I need someone to kindly donate a Losmandy GM8 or G11, or a Tak EM500, as my little GP boings around a bit if knocked. 

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

I suggest anyone who thinks they have an FS128 in their observatory ought to go outside and check its still there - right now!  😂

I couldnt stop laughing at you comment Paul. You know me so well! 😂😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Are you sitting comfortably?  

David (Dweller25) invited me over to his place after he'd read my lamenting post about me regretting ever parting with my FS128. He said I could observe through his and rekindle some memories.  On arriving he'd already set up his 128 in his garden and after giving the old girl a thorough ogling (David told me it's a she), I attached my binoviewer and together we spent the next hour or so observing Venus and Mars. Then almost by accident we crossed Castor, which stopped us dead in our tracks.  It was after this that David said he was thinking of selling it as it's getting a bit heavy, and so on the spur of the moment we agreed a price and that was that.  Now I need someone to kindly donate a Losmandy GM8 or G11, or a Tak EM500, as my little GP boings around a bit if knocked. 

Excellent story Mike - with a very happy ending.

Three cheers and a hurrah for David @dweller25.

Just don’t visit anyone with an FS 152, Mike. You already know how that story ends….

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I couldnt stop laughing at you comment Paul. You know me so well! 😂😂

I'm so pleased for you that you've got another FS128 Mike.  I know how much you've missed it and how long you've been lusting after another one.  It couldn't have gone to a better home.  See you soon 🙂.

• Like 4

FS-128s are just so common these days, like buses, don’t see one for ages then a few come by at once! 🤪

Anyway, here is mine on the AZ75, with the cradle attached directly to the mount which works well. It is very stable, and overall I think this setup with be great as it is pretty lightweight too so should get plenty of use.

Once I get a dovetail to fit it, I’ll also try it on the GP-DX which will be great for lunar and planetary observing.

Serial number is 01017 which means the seventeenth unit made in 2001 I believe.

IMG_7007.jpeg

IMG_7008.jpeg

IMG_7009.jpeg

IMG_7010.jpeg

IMG_7011.jpeg

IMG_7012.jpeg

IMG_7013.jpeg

IMG_7015.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous  Stu..

Actually a GPDX holds this scope quite well provided it's on a good (ie wooden) tripod..I used mine on one a number of times and its stability compares to my Tak EM2 mount.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Sorry it's not a Tak or Vixen but here's my Starfield 102ED on a SW AZGTiX mount with a Berlebach Report tripod.

IMG_20230415_141011.thumb.jpg.04ae5dc2210e607fd303e9757ac54299.jpg

No apologies needed, it’s a very nice frac. Great looking setup 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Stu. Still won't compare with your new (to you) Tak!

I was very dubious about my setup but it works well. There are slight but quickly damped vibrations when focusing at high powers but nothing serious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Sorry it's not a Tak or Vixen but here's my Starfield 102ED on a SW AZGTiX mount with a Berlebach Report tripod.

IMG_20230415_141011.thumb.jpg.04ae5dc2210e607fd303e9757ac54299.jpg

yeah , i can't see a need to apologise  ! All fracs are beautiful to their owners and in general . There is something quite traditional about those  ... (whisper it ) real telescopes  :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

There is something quite traditional about those  ... (whisper it ) real telescopes  :)

How dare you Stu! I’m mentally scarred for life now 😂

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Let’s hope there’ll be no backsliding on these lovely FS 128 finders to non Tak RACI models 😊

You see, Jeremy, you have an unfair advantage here: when you're  already a Pain in the Neck you don't have to worry about getting a further one from  using a straight through finder!!🤪🙂

Dave

• Haha 4