Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Frac

12 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Now you have done it. 25585 was just about feeling secure in the mounting set up he has achieved with the Tak 100. I can see a AZ EQ6 now being thought of ,for extra safety?. My understand the skytee was more than adequate? . But a new AZ EQ6 would look great in the white and Green trim ??

I think he's risking it with anything less than this with that heavy DL tube :icon_biggrin:

http://www.losmandy.com/AZ8.html

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

Ooh - not sure I’ve added my two pence on here yet. Here’s my Opticstar ar90s gold. 90mm achromat, 800mm f8.8 all metal, 1:10 focuser. No longer on the AZGTI though, need to pick up an EQ2 orAZ5 head from somewhere! Cracking scope!

804FDB2A-42A3-47C6-8B48-064668512D8F.jpeg

733C004F-8918-4859-BBC7-1D0091002D76.jpeg

Very nice, I've been tempted by an opticastar scope for ages, but can't really justify one alongside my current frac! Though I do dancy a long white tube frac for solar.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Now you have done it. 25585 was just about feeling secure in the mounting set up he has achieved with the Tak 100. I can see a AZ EQ6 now being thought of ,for extra safety?. My understand the skytee was more than adequate? . But a new AZ EQ6 would look great in the white and Green trim ??

No more SW mounts! It is great heavy duty for heavy kit, but I am not impressed by the mechanics, particuarly how sensitive the slo mo tensions, grub screws, & other smaller bits are to work. 

If my Tak does take a fall, the 4 rings would protect its tube, hopefully absorb some shock. 

Photo below shows the holes each ring has on both top & bottom which allow stacking if wanted, useful for finders or even an eyepiece rack. 

Skytees do allow a Losmandy clamp to be fitted to either top or side, which I have noticed is almost exclusive to it. None of the T shape mounts seem to provide that option. Skytees also have threaded holes for 2 8mm bolts as well as 6mm on both pucks. 

IMG_20180411_125533.jpg

You can put Losmandy type clamps on most "T" style alt-azimuth mounts as long as the clamps have the mounting holes in the right places - usually 35mm apart.

You don't usually see Losmandy clamps on the top mounting point of the Skytee II because, as I've mentioned a number of times in threads, it's not the best mounting point to use for heavy, long scopes.

I hope that you never need to find out but I wonder if the 4 rings and long DT bar that you are using with your Tak might actually increase the risk of damage to the tube in the case of a fall onto a hard surface :icon_scratch:

As I say, I hope you don't get a chance to find out !

Perhaps just encase the scope in plaster, and remove the risk of damage altogether ? :tongue2::smiley:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr niall said:

Ooh - not sure I’ve added my two pence on here yet. Here’s my Opticstar ar90s gold. 90mm achromat, 800mm f8.8 all metal, 1:10 focuser. No longer on the AZGTI though, need to pick up an EQ2 orAZ5 head from somewhere! Cracking scope!

804FDB2A-42A3-47C6-8B48-064668512D8F.jpeg

733C004F-8918-4859-BBC7-1D0091002D76.jpeg

Looks lovely on the AZGTI.  Is there a specific reason it is no longer in the AZGTI? 

5 hours ago, Lockie said:

Flipping heck. you really like the Primaluce kit don't you! What's the logic behind having 4 if you don't mind me asking? You have a DL, on a Skytee so I'm guessing it's not flexure for imaging you're concerned with? 

I knew Richard was going to rather strongly mount that Tak; but wowzer!
How heavy is that Tak??
Shame its hanging on the top mount of a Skytee 2,
I would not hang a scope of that cost on one, I know others do, but.....

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jforson said:

Looks lovely on the AZGTI.  Is there a specific reason it is no longer in the AZGTI? 

Yes actually - the tube is 3.65kg which in theory was fine for the azgti but found a little bit of wobble at anything above 150x. Tried balancing everything perfectly and weighing the tripod it was just never quite right. Not a big deal though - to be honest it was more like one of those things that wasn’t an issue until someone pointed it out! But it was mainly for my son and it was just a tad too advanced for him too. Mentioned it to FLO and they agreed to an exchange which was damned decent of them!

47 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

Yes actually - the tube is 3.65kg which in theory was fine for the azgti but found a little bit of wobble at anything above 150x. Tried balancing everything perfectly and weighing the tripod it was just never quite right. Not a big deal though - to be honest it was more like one of those things that wasn’t an issue until someone pointed it out! But it was mainly for my son and it was just a tad too advanced for him too. Mentioned it to FLO and they agreed to an exchange which was damned decent of them!

It’s the tripod that is the issue. Pop it on an decent photo tripod, or even one of the 2” stainless steel tubular ones (EQ6 ish which I think you can get an adaptor for) and it will be much better.

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

No more SW mounts! It is great heavy duty for heavy kit, but I am not impressed by the mechanics, particuarly how sensitive the slo mo tensions, grub screws, & other smaller bits are to work. 

If my Tak does take a fall, the 4 rings would protect its tube, hopefully absorb some shock. 

Photo below shows the holes each ring has on both top & bottom which allow stacking if wanted, useful for finders or even an eyepiece rack. 

Skytees do allow a Losmandy clamp to be fitted to either top or side, which I have noticed is almost exclusive to it. None of the T shape mounts seem to provide that option. Skytees also have threaded holes for 2 8mm bolts as well as 6mm on both pucks. 

IMG_20180411_125533.jpg

Joking aside. The Skytee should be more than up to the job for the Tak 100. I sit the equinox which is heavier on a 2" leg AZ 4 and that mount is not rated as highly as the Skytee. I do think John has a valid point to the mounting side/location on the Skytee, to which the Tak should be located. As no point risking your set up for a swap of mounting location. 

Do they sell round inflatable air mattress you could put round the Skytee, so the Tak would have a soft landing if needed ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lockie said:

It looks well protected too! Like scope armour :icon_biggrin:

I don't think I'd change it because of the way it looks, but it is quite heavy, so maybe for that reason? Early days, we'll see :) 

P.s. didn't you put bright red rings on your Tak?! or am I thinking of some one else? 

Looks like your Tak FS60CB has come with the wider ring clamp, Chris - looks wider than mine, anyway.

It means I still have some space on my tube for a few Primaluce rings :happy7:

IMG_8915.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Mr niall said:

That's good to know. I have a pretty decent photo tripod and I also have a couple of lighter refractors that I would be keen to try the mount with. 

Thanks

Edited by Jforson

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Looks like your Tak FS60CB has come with the wider ring clamp, Chris - looks wider than mine, anyway.

IMG_8915.JPG

I reckon if you utilise the dew shield you could easily get six CNC rings on there just to feel safe ?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, DRT said:

I reckon if you utilise the dew shield you could easily get six CNC rings on there just to feel safe ?

What we don’t realise is that Jeremy actually has an EQ8 in that obsy which is what he normally uses for the FS-60 ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

IMG_8915.JPG

I've got to say I prefer your clamp, looks more proportional. I'm a bit surprised there is more than one type for the fs60cb. I might get just to two rings for it in the future lol 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Poor 25585, he's taken some ribbing over having 4 rings on his Tak....well the tube is well ribbed anyway.  

I think we should stop before it gets out of hand ?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

What we don’t realise is that Jeremy actually has an EQ8 in that obsy which is what he normally uses for the FS-60 ;) 

How does this work then, Stu? Not in the obsy, so still portable :happy11:

And no counterweight needed :happy7:

NEQ6_FS60CB_1.jpg

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Joking aside. The Skytee should be more than up to the job for the Tak 100. I sit the equinox which is heavier on a 2" leg AZ 4 and that mount is not rated as highly as the Skytee. I do think John has a valid point to the mounting side/location on the Skytee, to which the Tak should be located. As no point risking your set up for a swap of mounting location. 

Do they sell round inflatable air mattress you could put round the Skytee, so the Tak would have a soft landing if needed ?

Following the plentiful advice, I mount my 120 Equinox on the side, on its own clamp, on its own head. It has the counterweight bar in line to balance the whole kaboodle. Big wide weight. A ST80 usually on the top acting as a finder.

The other head is for DL Tak (on top, adequately counterweighted now) &/or 100 Equinox on the side or my C8, as the mood takes me. Usually though only one scope & an 80mm finder.

My Tak is too expensive to risk taking to strange places, that's what 100 Equinox is for, or an ST.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

How does this work then, Stu? Not in the obsy, so still portable :happy11:

And no counterweight needed :happy7:

NEQ6_FS60CB_1.jpg

Now are you sure that mount is up to the task ,or should I say Tak ?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Now are you sure that mount is up to the task ,or should I say Tak ?

Looks a bit flimsy, maybe stick a couple of marshmallows on the counterweight bar to be on the safe side? I’d consider concreting those legs down too:happy8:

On 5/19/2018 at 11:38, JeremyS said:
On 5/19/2018 at 11:31, johninderby said:

Couldn’t find a scope cover that would fit then discovered the LensCoats. Perfect for the job and if you remove the hard pad then it folds up and fits in your pocket.

John

I'm going to try it with my Tak FS102. The Tak cover is like a manhole cover: superbly engineered, but a bit heavy. It's fits for storage, but when I want to cover during an observing session break i need something lighter that won't unbalance the system on the mount. I  use a TeleGizmo lens cover for this purpose, but I have to say it's a bit crudely made, looks awful, and the draw string doesn't hold it on very well.

Thanks again for the suggestion, John. The LensCoat Hoodie arrived this morning. Brilliant - just what I needed!

Easy to forget that camera suppliers sell kit that is useful for telescopes.

IMG_8938.JPG

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks again for the suggestion, John. The LensCoat Hoodie arrived this morning. Brilliant - just what I needed!

Easy to forget that camera suppliers sell kit that is useful for telescopes.

IMG_8938.JPG

Glad to see it fits just right and better yet doesn’t cheapen the look of the Tak. Tak should include their own version with every scope.

• Like 2