Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

On 20/05/2018 at 09:53, Lockie said:

I think he's risking it with anything less than this with that heavy DL tube :icon_biggrin:

http://www.losmandy.com/AZ8.html

I know @iPeacehas an AZ8 mount. 

The height of kit shown is 4 feet max. I would need to go to 6 feet min so another 5 x $100 height spacers in addition. €1775 + shipping. A lot of Skytees for that money! ?

@JohnTeleskop Express have AZ8s reduced currently.

Edited by 25585

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

I like the "manhole cover" except its colour.

Actually I prefer the Tak green colour scheme.

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Soft covers should be kevlar for Taks ?

I assume you mean Kevlar covers reinforced with CNC rings? ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Nah.

They should be tak-tile.

Do you guys actually look through these Taks, or just play dress-up with them as an alternative to Action Man?

?

I have no idea what you mean? :grin:

IMG_20180522_144929.jpg

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 10

4 minutes ago, 25585 said:

New arrival. Heavier baby than expected. The Equinox family is complete, photo to follow. 

IMG_20180522_143954.jpg

IMG_20180522_144857.jpg

IMG_20180522_144237.jpg

IMG_20180522_144334.jpg

IMG_20180522_144456.jpg

IMG_20180522_144713.jpg

Nice. You have all 3 now. I am sure you know the specs of this 80 better than me. But I think the equinox 80 may have the ohara  elements also, like its bigger brothers.

I hope for your sake that SW don't do the new SW150 ed version in an " Equinox " or you will need to start saving to complete the family.

Hope you enjoy??

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

I hope not so heavy that it scuppers your travelscope plans, 25885?

The (rotatable) focuser might have to be detatched & packed separately & a lighter carrier needed. I have not weighed the whole OTA yet. But at the price not complaining. In its case I estimate 1/2 cwt with diagonal & a couple of eps.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The (rotatable) focuser might have to be detatched & packed separately & a lighter carrier needed. I have not weighed the whole OTA yet. But at the price not complaining. In its case I estimate 1/2 cwt with diagonal & a couple of eps.

They are chunky, but they still sit quite happily on a light camera tripod and giro mount. Attached pic was taken in Tenerife a couple of years ago when Mars was last prominent - still sharp at 170x. 

IMG_0123.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

They are chunky, but they still sit quite happily on a light camera tripod and giro mount. Attached pic was taken in Tenerife a couple of years ago when Mars was last prominent - still sharp at 170x. 

IMG_0123.JPG

Looks a good mount & tripod combo. What I need is a suitable mount, black preferably, for stealth stargazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Nice. You have all 3 now. I am sure you know the specs of this 80 better than me. But I think the equinox 80 may have the ohara  elements also, like its bigger brothers.

I hope for your sake that SW don't do the new SW150 ed version in an " Equinox " or you will need to start saving to complete the family.

Hope you enjoy??

The SW man on CN said the 150 will be only in standard ED PRO trim :(.

This pre-owned 80 Equinox was sold by ENS, so at least its from a reputable dealer i.e. who will take returns. Optics look clean. Focuser fine. Retractable hood a bit loose in travel but no trouble otherwise. Came with the RDF. Most of my travel is surface, so weight not an issue, but I may paint the case or put it in a larger darker one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

My ED120 is now fully blinged-up with its new red Moonlite, Baader Zeiss Prism and SW EvoGuide finder.

IMG_1002.jpg.d6208bb2ccc030b5d0a33e78f1236656.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg.76c52eea7fa5b1493ca2a36902ddf96f.jpg

Now I just need some new eyepieces and a clear night sky :smile: 

Edited by DRT
  • Like 17

Very nice set up indeed Derek, maybe one of the high power eyepieces such as the Vixen HR or the Tak TOE for those wonderful moments of seeing ..... you have had most of the best eyepieces ?

26 minutes ago, Pig said:

Very nice set up indeed Derek, maybe one of the high power eyepieces such as the Vixen HR or the Tak TOE for those wonderful moments of seeing ..... you have had most of the best eyepieces ?

I decided the Celestron Luminos were not for me and have ordered the 9mm, 13mm & 20mm Lunt/APM HDC- XWA 100° Eyepieces plus an APM UW 80° 30 mm for low power. I've read a few positive reviews of this range here and on CN about them being comparable to their TV rivals but at 25% of the cost so I am interested to see if that it true. I've not gone for the high power EPs at this stage as I found I almost never used my Ethos 4.7mm and 3.7mm so will see how I get on with what I've ordered. If I want something between 5mm and 9mm I suspect it will be a DeLite as the cost is not much more than the Lunt HDC- XWAs.

• Like 3

My current set up is a ed apo 150 from APM , mainly used in conjunction with Baader Zeiss mark v binoviewer  on a Gemini 41 observatory mount  this is at the dark skies of Brecon visitors centre 

3704E3EC-DD69-4D98-BE09-C3EBE5909D91.jpeg

Edited by stuy
  • Like 9

26 minutes ago, stuy said:

My current set up is a ed apo 150 from APM , mainly used in conjunction with Baader Zeiss mark v binoviewer  on a Gemini 41 observatory mount  this is at the dark skies of Brecon visitors centre 

3704E3EC-DD69-4D98-BE09-C3EBE5909D91.jpeg

Yes John it is ive moved from Abergavenny sold cottage in the country to now live in ystrad mynach so my observatory gone ? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DRT said:

My ED120 is now fully blinged-up with its new red Moonlite, Baader Zeiss Prism and SW EvoGuide finder.

IMG_1002.jpg.d6208bb2ccc030b5d0a33e78f1236656.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg.76c52eea7fa5b1493ca2a36902ddf96f.jpg

Now I just need some new eyepieces and a clear night sky :smile: 

Looks beautiful Derek !

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1