Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

Big Red the Carton 100mm f/13 scope that I built a few years ago was looking a bit tired so time to freshen it up and get it apart and check it over properly. 

The paint was dull and faded so rubbed it out and polished it and the candy red paint came up a treat. When I originaly painted it was first acid etch primer then three coats of silver base coat, six coats of candy red topped by four coats of clear. Proper candy red paint. :thumbright:

The carry handle and gone a funny goldish colour in patches but was repainted and now good as new. Then all the brass bits need a polish and there are a lot of brass bits as well as the dew shield.

Most important thing though it's still better to to look thrugh than at although have to admit I love looking at it of course. :biggrin:

John

BTW if you're looking for something to cap of the end of your scope one of the LensCoat covers works great. Elasticated with a removable hard pad in the end. 

BigRed-1.jpg

BigRed-2.jpg

BigRed-5.jpg

BigRed-6.jpg

BigRed-3.jpg

BigRed-9.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, johninderby said:

BTW if you're looking for something to cap of the end of your scope one of the LensCoat covers works great. Elasticated with a removable hard pad in the end.

Great suggestion - just ordered one!

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Great suggestion - just ordered one!

Couldn’t find a scope cover that would fit then discovered the LensCoats. Perfect for the job and if you remove the hard pad then it folds up and fits in your pocket.

John

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Couldn’t find a scope cover that would fit then discovered the LensCoats. Perfect for the job and if you remove the hard pad then it folds up and fits in your pocket.

John

I'm going to try it with my Tak FS102. The Tak cover is like a manhole cover: superbly engineered, but a bit heavy. It's fits for storage, but when I want to cover during an observing session break i need something lighter that won't unbalance the system on the mount. I  use a TeleGizmo lens cover for this purpose, but I have to say it's a bit crudely made, looks awful, and the draw string doesn't hold it on very well. 

On 17/05/2018 at 21:20, Timebandit said:

Nice to see the ED120 still has some fans out there

And re -acquired suggests you were missing the cracking views they can produce

Enjoy ?

Simon, this continued sniping nonsense is becoming tiresome, please stop it.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2018 at 21:10, DRT said:

Here is my recently re-acquired ED120 sporting some new CNC rings and a Sky-Watcher EvoGuide ED50 finder scope :grin: 

IMG_0939.thumb.jpg.0a3ba75c25f28552171ebab98b0417ee.jpg

What a lovely looking setup Derek, looks very simple and very colour co-ordinated. The 50ED looks fab too, have you tried it out yet?

Is that an Ercole it’s mounted on?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Stu. Your obviously just looking to pick up on anything I say or comment on

This is a thread about celebrating ALL the wonderful kit we have at our disposal. I am picking up on your continued anti Tak sentiment and it needs to stop.

We all know the 120ED is a wonderful scope, there is no need for barbed comments to defend it.

Some seriously amazing Fracs here. Im loving the Sky-Watcher EvoGuide ED50 finder scope, but reading around the threads, nobody seems to be able to find the right diagonal,prism to bring it to focus.

I'd love to have one for my Quark. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

2 hours ago, Stu said:

What a lovely looking setup Derek, looks very simple and very colour co-ordinated. The 50ED last oks fab too, have you tried it out yet?

Is that an Ercole it’s mounted on?

Yes, Stu, it’s your old ED120 on an Ercole with 11” ADM Losmandy clamp and plate and CNC rings from Teleskop Service. Solid as a rock ?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pig said:

@DRTdo you ave any info on the scopes weight or better still have you weighed it ? I was wondering if my mount could cope with it ?

Do you mean the weight of the ED120, ED50 or both together?

8 minutes ago, DRT said:

I had assumed the supplied T2 extension tube should be removed when fitting a diagonal but it should stay on. This configuration is in focus...

C3FF6AD2-0B50-4701-92F8-B51C57ED94B7.thumb.jpeg.1b0411bc24d8f027cbc5e53bdf5b50dd.jpeg

Yea gads, thats a f15 finder now :laugh2:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Yea gads, thats a f15 finder now :laugh2:

It's not that bad - only f12.1 :wink:  :lol:

The prism won't reach focus without the Powermate - there isn't enough inward travel for it even with the extension tube removed. I reckon that Powermate is adding about 40-45mm to the focus point :eek: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DRT said:

It's not that bad - only f12.1 :wink:  :lol:

The prism won't reach focus without the Powermate - there isn't enough inward travel for it even with the extension tube removed. I reckon that Powermate is adding about 40-45mm to the focus point :eek: 

That’s a shame, limits it’s use as a RACI finder with a decent field of view

Just now, Stu said:

That’s a shame, limits it’s use as a RACI finder with a decent field of view

I’ve yet to try it with a simple prism diagonal, which will have a shorter light path that the Amici I am using. If anyone has a prism and an ED50 please try and report back. 

5 minutes ago, DRT said:

I’ve yet to try it with a simple prism diagonal, which will have a shorter light path that the Amici I am using. If anyone has a prism and an ED50 please try and report back. 

Have you tried it pirate style?

3 hours ago, DRT said:

I had assumed the supplied T2 extension tube should be removed when fitting a diagonal but it should stay on. This configuration is in focus...

C3FF6AD2-0B50-4701-92F8-B51C57ED94B7.thumb.jpeg.1b0411bc24d8f027cbc5e53bdf5b50dd.jpeg

What's wrong with a standard 8x50 finder? :icon_scratch:

• Like 2