Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

On 03/06/2018 at 21:25, stuy said:

Yes John it is ive moved from Abergavenny sold cottage in the country to now live in ystrad mynach so my observatory gone ? 

Helen waves to Stuy from just up the valley ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Stu............

You did say id need a better scope for the Quark. The ar102 seems to be getting the thumbs up by everyone on SGL.

That’s great Paul. I do hope it performs as well with the Quark as with the Herschel Wedge. I think, for the money, it is well worth a punt. You should, I think, get full disk views with it. I reckon a 32mm Plossl would be worth trying.

Quarks are funny old beasts, the overall focal ratio you are operating at makes a difference to the contrast seen as I recall. Somewhere are f6.5 for the scope is optimum, which is why the Pronto is a good option. But the combination of aperture and an f ratio within the recommended range should be good I should think.

Just don’t forget the x4.2 barlow included and assume that you will need long focal length, simple construction eg Plossl type eyepieces and you should be good.

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

That’s great Paul. I do hope it performs as well with the Quark as with the Herschel Wedge. I think, for the money, it is well worth a punt. You should, I think, get full disk views with it. I reckon a 32mm Plossl would be worth trying.

Quarks are funny old beasts, the overall focal ratio you are operating at makes a difference to the contrast seen as I recall. Somewhere are f6.5 for the scope is optimum, which is why the Pronto is a good option. But the combination of aperture and an f ratio within the recommended range should be good I should think.

Just don’t forget the x4.2 barlow included and assume that you will need long focal length, simple construction eg Plossl type eyepieces and you should be good.

I have a 32mm GSO

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Lovely stuff Jeremy. I used to have a split tube 76DC, very sharp optically and also highly portable to take abroad etc.

That's what I'm hoping Stu. Need to try and see some planets higher in the sky! Really pleased with how it all fits in a laptop backpack for airline carry-one.

Just now, JeremyS said:

That's what I'm hoping Stu. Need to try and see some planets higher in the sky! Really pleased with how it all fits in a laptop backpack for airline carry-one.

Yep, I can’t tecall exactly where I took mine but it was much easier and lighter than say a TV76. Optically better too I reckon.

• Like 1

Here are my latest two which I'm planning on being my final scope purchases for a while (fatal last words I know). ?

First up my new to me Altair Starwave Classic f11 which comes to me via @DRT and @Jonk then secondly a new to me mint condition Celestron Omni XLT 102ED f9 which comes to me via @Lockie and @Saganite.

I've only done a bit of terrestrial observing and some WL Solar this evening and the views have blown me away, but that's for another thread.

20180611_191328.jpg

20180611_193012.jpg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Pig said:

Two lovely setups there Ade ?

Thanks, I'm very pleased with both. That's me done for a while now. The WL views I've just had have blown my socks off even though there are no sunspots visible, the macro granulation detail apparent on the disc was just stunning. ?

• Like 1

Very nice indeed @AdeKing, you have no idea how close I was to pulling the trigger on the Celestron!!!! Didn't make much sense having recently picked up the 120 though.

Anyway, someone's got to ask it......which do you prefer !??

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Lovely scopes AdeKing, and you certainly know the history of your scopes! :) 

Viewing Jupiter at the moment and loving every second.

I couldn't miss that you'd owned the Celestron Chris as your name was still on the shipping label on the box ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

Very nice indeed @AdeKing, you have no idea how close I was to pulling the trigger on the Celestron!!!! Didn't make much sense having recently picked up the 120 though.

Anyway, someone's got to ask it......which do you prefer !??

That's just mean that's like asking me to choose my favourite child ?

• Haha 2

I picked up a second hand Starlight Instruments Synta adapter for not much money a few days ago and it allows me to use my FeatherTouch on my ED120 :grin:

IMG_1043.jpg.56df1b73ab758e260f9aabe6969e55a7.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg.eb5a35482c560c4ea74a52e3b152c0b7.jpg

I do like these focusers. They are lovely to use and very simple and elegant in their design :smile: 

• Like 7

Looks lovely Derek :thumbright:

Maybe the looks are deceiving but it looks quite a bit longer than the stock or Moonlite alternatives. Is the scope tube shorter than normal ?

3 hours ago, John said:

Looks lovely Derek :thumbright:

Maybe the looks are deceiving but it looks quite a bit longer than the stock or Moonlite alternatives. Is the scope tube shorter than normal ?

The scope tube length is normal, John. I think the FT set-up is slightly longer than the Moonlite but the draw tube on my FT is shorter so I might need an extension tube for some EPs. I’ll post some vital stats when I get home on Friday. 

• Like 2