NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from the Midlands!

jimbo84

Hello, I'm James.

After a lot of reading and lurking I thought I might as well make an account!

I have been interested in the night sky for as long as I can remember, but only got around to acquiring a telescope in the past few months.

I already had some binoculars, 6x30 Kowa, 8x30 CZ Jena and Lidl 10x50 but always found observing with them a pain in the neck. However I was still able to find Andromeda several times, also M13 and the moons of Jupiter. Never could find M3 though!

Photography is another big interest and in the past I was able to photograph a lunar eclipse and also Saturn near the moon several years ago. Even though it was very small in the image (500mm Catadioptric) I could just make out the rings!

So eventually I decided to get myself a scope and thanks to all the information and knowledge here I finally settled on a 5" Maksutov (I don't have room for anything too big and I knew I would get bored with manual tracking) and after a few false starts finally got my hands on a new Celestron NexStar 127 around the start of March.

I quickly acquired some extra eyepieces (8mm and 15mm BST Starguiders and also 20mm and 32mm Photo/Visual Revelation Plössls.) and have really enjoyed using it so far - great views of Jupiter, watching the spot appear and moons going behind the planet. I stayed up very late in mid-April to look at Saturn and I think I saw Titan, is it possible to see it with a scope this size?

Anyway.... my aim now is to find a camera more suited to plantary imaging than the Sony α700.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James,

Warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forums. The 127mm Mak is a great scope, especially when observing planets. And the BST eyepieces are a great upgrade from the standard eyepieces that come with the scope.

Archived