Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My 60 frame Moon mosaic

Altais

Hello. :)

Just wanted to share with you this mosaic that I made of the Moon.

post-43721-0-59867800-1428349575_thumb.j

It consist of about 60 frames (with considerable overlap), aligned and blended in Photoshop. I had to align them manually, since the auto-align algorithm didn't seem to understand what the Moon should look like.  :smiley:

Each frame is stacked from a 1 minute video, and sharpened with Registax wavelets. I used a QHY5L-II connected to my SW Explorer 150PDS with a 2.5x barlow with extension tube. The image scale is about 0.34 arcseconds per pixel, which gives the Moon a diameter of about 5300 pixels.

With all those pixels it would be a shame to only look at a compressed version, so I include a link to the full resolution image in AstroBin:

http://www.astrobin.com/full/169742/0/

Just click the orange icon to the top right to see it in full resolution (but you probably knew that already). You'll have to scroll to the right and down the get the Moon in view.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for viewing!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great result. How long did it take to capture and then process it all?

This phase seems to be a good compromise between lots of Moon showing and not having too much over exposure on the brightest areas. I did a 119 panel mosaic last year at almost the same phase as your image, and it took 6 hours just to capture and 40 hours of solid stacking! My laptop still hasn't fogiven me! I also had to manually align all the panels.

You should feel very pleased with your work.

Thanks a lot for the nice comments everyone! :)

That's a great result. How long did it take to capture and then process it all?

This phase seems to be a good compromise between lots of Moon showing and not having too much over exposure on the brightest areas. I did a 119 panel mosaic last year at almost the same phase as your image, and it took 6 hours just to capture and 40 hours of solid stacking! My laptop still hasn't fogiven me! I also had to manually align all the panels.

You should feel very pleased with your work.

Thank you! I agree that this phase works quite well. I did another one of the full moon, but it gets kinda flat and boring. Also the seeing wasn't by far as good as with this one.

The capturing took probably around 1.5 to 2 hours give or take. I spent most of the next day stacking and aligning, and some more the day after. But a lot of time went into figuring out why Photoshop wouldn't align the frames automatically, before I gave up and did it manually.

But your mosaic, 119 frames! That's dedication on a whole different level! If you have shared it here on SGL previously, would you mind posting a link to the thread? :) 

Not sure where the thread is as it was a little over a year ago, but here's the picture, taken at 3 metres focal length with an ASI120MM, 742nm IR Pass filter on a 200PDS scope. The full size image is 10500 x 8500 pixels. Each pane was 2500 frames captured and 30% stacked in Autostakkert!2. It was hard work from start to finish, but very rewarding. Not sure I'm ready to go for the world record yet though!

post-20257-0-82100700-1428430912_thumb.j

Great image Stephen! :) Amazing level of detail in the crop.

I see that you also caught Rupes Recta aka. the Straight Wall, in the southeastern end of Mare Nubium. I wasn't aware of this feature when I was processing the images, and couldn't wrap my head around what that curious dark line was.  :smiley:

Just out of curiosity, what would the world record for largest moon mosaic be? 

A superb mosaic image which is a just reward for the effort that you have evidently put in to its composition. A pleasure to view! :smiley: Quite superb.

Best regards,

Ralph

Thanks a lot people!  :grin: Glad you like it.

Very nice! 

btw, Microsoft ICE seems to handle automatic mosaic generation of the moon quite well.

Thanks for the tip John, I'll check it out!

Archived