NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My 60 frame Moon mosaic

Altais

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Luc.  :grin:

Well, based on the diameter of Clavius (225 km), each of your frames cover about 300 km x 300 km. Let us say you have an overlap of about 30% on each side of the panels, which would make the effective size of the panels about 210 km x 210 km, or 44100 km^2.

The cross-sectional area of the Moon is about ((3474 km)^2 x pi) = 3.79 x 10^7 km^2. Dividing the area of the Moon by the area of each panel, we get about 860 panels. And probably a bit more since this assumes that every pixel in the panels is showing some of the Moon, which won't be the case near the edges.

I say go for it! I'll sit here watching with some popcorn.  :cool2:

Looking at the bottom frame in your mosaic I realize that your planels are probably wider than I claimed, so about 380 km wide rather than 300. The number of panels with 10% overlap would then be 410. This is getting more and more manageable!

Archived