Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie :)

Mackaygolspie

Hello all. Im glad to be joining this community as i can definatly learn alot from it. My first question is this. i only have very basic equipment a nikon d3100 with kit lens, 35mm 1.8 lens, tripod and remote cable release. i was wondering what my night sky limits are in relation to imaging with this gear

Thanks again

Sam

Hello Sam and welcome to the forum :)

People are quite friendly here so do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Try the imaging forum, there are a lot of knownlegeable posters who can help you there, even with the most technical questions.

Clear skies

Hi Sam, welcome to SGL.

I'd. Deffo have a go at making the simple camera mount. Great little DIY project plus they can be quite good.

I used one years back with an old Zenit 35mm film slr.. Every press of the shutter cost money back then lol

Hi Sam, if your kit lens goes down to 18mm I think you'll get reasonable exposures before star trails become apparent. Take a few shots and stack them in dss or equivalent. See how you get on. I'm working with pretty basic equipment and getting a few fair images. It's a learning curve and some on here are past masters ( and mistresses). You'll get plenty of advice.

Thanks guys. Already seeing that this is a great page with some top advice/help. Yea Dave Lloyd it's an 18-55 f3.5 I think. Tried some Milky Way shots but there isn't enough detail coming out at 3.5. Haven't tried stacking yet so that sounds like a good plan as does the mount. In terms of objects in the night sky I'm pretty limited at the moment am i?

If yes is the answer to that, what equipment should I look at next?

Thanks

Archived