SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hey from kent

Spudrick187

Hi everyone

I've recently got myself a skywatcher bk 1309 eq2 telescope and had some really great results, but saying that I was wondering what deep sky objects I could mange with it. I really find looking at the planets an absolute wonder but I want more

post-41978-0-73513900-1423412615_thumb.j

post-41978-0-89715800-1423412637_thumb.j

post-41978-0-47840400-1423412654.jpg

post-41978-0-64597600-1423412668_thumb.j

Hi and welcome to the forum. You might want to consider posting your question over on the imaging sections to receive more technical advice as more people visit that area than this welcome section. For solar system objects (moon, planets) using a simple webcam to collect video of your chosen object to then 'stack' the very best frames to construct a final composite image is the usual route to take. Trying to capture a sharp image of even the moon (especially when magnified) is incredibly difficult when capturing the data through our thick atmosphere which constantly distorts and blurs the image. You mention doing 'more' with Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) but if you are referring to imaging them, then you will need as a minimum an accurate motorised mount (HEQ5) with some means of locating the object (Goto) as many of them are too faint to find them with just the scope. The accuracy of the mount is needed to ensure that you are capable of performing long exposures in order to collect enough data to construct a final image. Again a question or two over on the imaging sections would certainly help fill in some of the technical details.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Spudrick and welcome to SGL, to nurture your interest in DSO I would recommend you obtain a copy of Darren Bushnall`s book, 175pp "Observing the Deep Sky" a copy of this should set you back less than £I.0 + postage, value for money indeed, without any shadow of a doubt. This together with some star maps will give you a good insight to what is observable, bearing in mind the limitations of aperture and whether you are observing in very dark skies with little or no light pollution. You could also consider hunting down Star clusters and single and double stars, which many find of interest. As James has recommended, matters relating to imaging are better addressed in the Imaging Sections, enjoy :)   

Archived