Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New (ish) member

steviebee

Hi, I have been interested in Astronomy now for several years and standing on the side lines of SGL for about 3. After many years of making excuses that we need this or that first I am about to bite the bullet and get my first scope (tomorrow). I am looking at the SW explorer 150p or 200p. I am fortunate in that my wife and I live part time in a small village in S.W. France and will retire there in the next few years. I am in the early stages of building my own observatory.  The scope will be kept there. I am also going to buy a Camera for Astro Photography. I am looking at either the Cannon 1000d or 1100 d. Your opinions would be much appreciated to this setup. Any other advice would also be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Steve.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL! I've owned both the 150P and 200P, and can say that both will give you some great views. Naturally, the 200P gives better views, but it is a lot heavier. I also use a Canon 1100D, and it certainly does a good job. Unfortunately, you will need to buy a motor drive before you can photograph fainter objects, but it's well worth it.

David

Many thanks for your welcome and quick replies. I was thinking more along the lines of the 200p, as you say aperture wins every time. Motor drive is on my wish list as well. I dare say I will be back on here in the next few days asking lots of questions, but am really looking forward to getting it set up (I will set it up in the UK first). I am a bit worried about light pollution here (none where I live as nearest small light is over 150mtrs away.

Steve.

Hi and welcome to SGL Steve - Glad that you found us. Sounds like you are going to have some great opportunities for imaging. My biggest piece of advise is to get the very best mount that you can afford. The HEQ5 is often considered to be the basic imagers mount as it is good for guiding. If you are interested in imaging DSO's then you are going to be looking at long exposures and for that you need accurate guiding. Under mount at your peril - You will regret it and end up throwing away mass amounts of data.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Thank you all again for your warm welcome. Not long now (about 6 hours) and If all goes well I will be the proud owner of my first Telescope. So stand by to be pestered with loads of questions.  Hopefully I will be able to get my camera before the end of the month when I go over to France. If not I am sure I will have great fun with it in my garden in the UK.

Steve.

A big welcome all the way from a still wet Bulgaria. Stevie bee, can I suggest that you open a post asking the questions about the camera etc on those parts of the forum, there is a section for such, you are more likely to get answers from people hoe have the same equipment and I am sure this will help you more.

Alan

Archived