Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

*In Gameshow voice, "Naaaaaame thaaaat telescoooope!!"

Hello Dear Friends(I have two!) and Community,

I acquired this lil guy over the weekend.

yWE8v6W.jpg

Like many other users I had been hesitant about a reflector (collimation, and whatnot) but at 22 Euros I could not pass. Actually I simply wanted the mount (my first manual EQ!!), as it looked to be good for my starter needs.

Now the data plate (real thin sheet steel!) says it's a Revue, (an old German optical/lens/eyeglass company I believe) however it's got a Japan label elsewhere and my guess is it's a re-badged Vixen. Am I right and would anyone like to enlighten me on what a gem or stinker it is?

I gave it a nice cleaning (simple green, damp cloth) and used a hair dryer to hopefully loosen and rid it of cob webs that were inside (not a lot but I certainly could not there in there).

UhrCCid.jpg

Btw: What are the Dec and RA knobs normally called?

GcpHuTR.jpg

I love the tiny bulb lamp (works!! 2xAAs)

BMyB4qY.jpg

Last but not least the EPs (5,10,20mm) came with one each screw-on sun and moon filters (How cool is that!!!?)

pwXzvAJ.jpg

I appreciate all insights in advance!

John

About the RA and Dec knobs, I meant the two hanging things that adjust (remotely), what are they called? RA and Dec knobs??

They are generally called slow motion controls :smile:

I'm sorry I can't help identify the scope, but it looks well worth what you paid for it.  The wooden tripod will dampen vibrations nicely, and the light is a neat idea if you cover it with red film so that it won't affect your night vision.

A word of warning though - DO NOT USE THE SUN FILTER!!!  those eyepiece filters can crack under the heat and blind you!  The Moon filter should be fine.

Enjoy

Helen

It looks very similar to the Tasco Lunagrosso 11T model. Some info on this model here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4745128/Main/4744875

I'd smash the Sun Filter with a hammer and throw it away. They are very dangerous.

I'd agree with John on both the type of scope (tasco Lunagrosso 11T as I had one for 12 years) and smashing the sun filter to bits then binning it.

You may find the finder has an aperture stop behind the main lens. This is because it's a singlet lens and produces chromatic aberation. They put an aperture stop in to hide aberations. The problem being it effectively becomes about an 8mm finder, which is useless. Unscrew the front and remove and bin the aperture stop. It will give horrible images but at least you'll then be able to find fainter stuff than the moon with it.

Now the data plate (real thin sheet steel!) says it's a Revue, (an old German optical/lens/eyeglass company I believe) however it's got a Japan label elsewhere and my guess is it's a re-badged Vixen. Am I right and would anyone like to enlighten me on what a gem or stinker it is?

It's definitely a gem, german equatorial mount ......

..........ok..............I'll get my coat.

Man, it's great to get so much info.! You guys are great! Quick too!!

Many thanks!

So this little guy should give me some nice views of the moon. I sure hope it's ready to go and I don't have to adjust but suppose I'd better get familiarized.

I'll poke around for a how to vid.

Btw: I'm interested in DS observing, should this scope work well, will it give a decent view of brighter to somewhat less brighter stuff?

Hi, I also owned one of these and it performed well. You may find the eyepieces are quite poor and the scope probably uses the smaller size, .965, rather than 1.25". If this is the case then you can get an adapter to allow the bigger eyepieces to be used. Something like this - http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/scopeteknix/eyepiece/adaptor.html

Or swap the focuser for an 1.25", this is what I did and when I removed the old focuser the hole in the tube was big enough for the new unit.  :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and thanks for all your helpful feedback! :)

I got a looksie at the moon yesterday and found it slightly dim, fuzzy still at best focus and eggshaped. There's three cross tip screws on the mirror end however they are not budging as their heads are flat against the tube end. Help and you're all wonderful!

Wow egg shaped moon, something is definitely out of alignment. It's normally eggy stars people complain about.

Be careful about forcing the screw as there may be locking screws that you just haven't found yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived