NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TS Optics PHOTON 6" f/5 Advanced Newtonian Telescope

Hi, anyone got any experience with the above telescope? I'm looking for an OTA which isn't too large or heavy to use primarily within a bortle 7 zone whilst my AP rig is working away. So it'll be used primarily for visual with the potential for AP afterwards if I choose to make upgrades to the focuser/coma corrector etc.

Also does anyone know what I can expect to see visually (difference) from my 60mm refractor? Currently looking though a wide eyepiece at andromeda/orion nebula for example it looks just like a blank void in space, with averted vision you can just about make out the core/nebula.

Ideally I'd like an 8" newtonian/SCT but then there's the need for new mount, space to store it etc etc.

I've not used that particular scope but my first "proper" scope beyond my old 60mm refractor was a 6 inch F/6 newtonian and the difference in performance was frankly huge on both solar system and deep sky targets.

The bright globular clusters, for example, show quite a lot of resolved stars around the core of the cluster whereas with the 60mm refractor they were just fuzzy spots of light.

My first proper scope was an 8" newt. A real eye opener compared to earlier refractors. Very much as John said.

I haven't used the particular scope you mention. However, in general a shop bought newt will benefit from a bit of flocking and a dew shield.
These cost almost nothing (compared to the scope). They are easy to fit and much improve the stray light situation.
HTH, David.

I have the f4 version that I purchased recently for imaging. I would say it is on par with any other 'standard' newtonian such as the SW explorer. There are a few issues with it for AP, but none of these will affect visual use.

With regards to a 60mm refractor, you will certainly see much more. I have a an 80mm scope and the greater aperture is much better for DSO's. The only thing to be aware of is that newtonians can be a bit of a pain on EQ mounts due to the eyepiece positions.