Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear skies tonight !

cotterless45

looking gooooood, cloud gun to max dispersal, lock nucleotidal zen ringlers to clockwise spin, prepare to fire............ what no?.....  batteries are flat...... 23 triple aaa's and its good to go......is sainsberries still open......yes ......(15 minute firing delay) and finally fire........... dispersal in 10,9,8........

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scope nights says clear conditions here but blanket cloud! Got Two new Skywatcher UW 6mm and 9mm EPs to try out too so gutted. But at least my damaged disc in my back may be relieved! :-/

Sort of clear. Managed to re-focus my guide cam, but my 550D has been playing silly wotsits and PHD is giving me the runaround.

Trying an imaging run on M51 as it's nice and high.

Just come in, beautiful night, clear skies, no moon, street lights out, bliss!

Same here in Warks- street lights out at midnight SQM reading of 20.3 which is not too bad really. Imaging M101 at the moment, back to Comet Panstarrs soon.

just packed up and am sat in bed. a good clear 6 hours... will most likely be somewhat depressed when i process the nights batch. guiding was being an utter dog so i doubt i got anything worthwhile.

Same here in Warks- street lights out at midnight SQM reading of 20.3 which is not too bad really. Imaging M101 at the moment, back to Comet Panstarrs soon.

Panstarrs was my 1 failure of the evening, just couldn't make it out. I know i was looking in the right place because I was using the push to system and it was aligned well.

Skies were noticeably darker with the street lights out, I could just about make out little bear if I stared hard enough.

It was clear here too - eventually - but the seeing was a bit carp. I had issues with reflections from my LPAS filter back onto the focal reducer (which had been moved closer to the camera to correct the spacing), this left a big doughnut in the middle of the FOV. In fact, the doughnut was so obvious I thought it was an out-of-focus star and tried to focus the thing! My only option now is to swap positions of the filter and reducer but I'll have to machine a filter thread on the front of the reducer to do that, so for last night I was bit scuppered. I went for Panstarrs too, got some sort of image but nothing I can do about the doughnut. I should have used the refractor.

PanstarrsLRGB_zps0d0ba180.jpg

ChrisH

Turned out to be a bit of a flop for me; didn`t get very good star alignment for some reason and therefore failed to find some of my targets; did enjoy viewing M5 though, superb at 180x mag. I suffer with Raynauds disease; my hands were white and lifeless even with two pairs of gloves..........going to look at some battery operated heated gloves. :sad: 

Clear blue skies in Nottingham.  I could no get out last night so fingers crossed for this evening.  Does not get dark enough to see Polaris now until gone 21:00.  Desperate for some Blue on M81/82, been waiting for two months!  But may concentrate elsewhere since UM is visible pretty much all the time.  

What a great night last night. I didn't realise how clear it was till 10.30 (!) but actually took the 300 Dob out for the first time for ages.

Problem was I was rushing so didn't plan my session and, as a result, I was a bit random. But with no moon or clouds the stars were so rich and dense using the 24mm. I looked first for comet PanSTARRS...but could find it (how!?) or at least I didn't recognise it anyway. But I did manage to find M101 and M51 (I do struggle with these... Surprised just haw faint they are). Actually I was a bit disappointed with M51... I struggled to see much definition and it didn't seem to take the extra mag in my 15mm or 12mm well.

I also found M65 in Leo (again, I struggle with Leo's galaxies... Pathetic isn't it :-( ) and a couple of galaxies in Virgo's cup (no idea which they were).

The highlight was the stunning M13 ... Majestic in the 24mm, incredible in the 15mm, just a bit too much in the 12mm, in which it filled nearly all the fov.

I also saw an amazing shooting star, low, at a shallow angle from N to S ... It bloomed and sparked and disappeared in 2 secs of glory.

The planets... Jupiter was low and in the direction of an annoying streetlight in my close. To be honest I didn't spend much time on it because its glare drowned the detail. Would have used my neodymium filter if I really wanted to spend time on it. Saturn was glorious in the 6mm and also the 5mm ... But very bright and I could not really see surface detail... Though I saw the Cassini gap just. Mars... Well, again I didn't devote as much time to it as it needs, so as usual I couldn't really identify much. But then I was more interested in DSOs last night.

l finished at 2.30 as I was very cold and tired.

Afterwards I realised all the other things I COULD have looked at... But given the short time I was out I was fairly happy, though I still struggle to locate common objects!

If it's clear tonight (!) I must spend more time looking for the Virgo cup galaxies. Would love to see Ceres and Vesta but I don't think I would recognise them.

Cleared nicely here eventually, seeing not as good as it was a couple of weeks ago but managed to image K1 Panstarrs and as I was pointed in the right direction started a new run on M51, managed a few ten minute HA subs before it passed meridian and guiding went wobbley and an orange haze started to develope, but can't complain :)

Dave

Best night for me so far despite the jet stream. Started at 8 on the moon, then at 10 Jupiter, then Mars then Saturn finishing up with a bit of DSO quick viewing (M92, M13, M5 I wrote), finishing at 2. Webcam data looks a bit rough but good fun anyway and plenty of obs time with the Newt).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

By the way, does anyone have links for where to buy observing diaries / notebooks? I looked on FLO but could not see any.

Good point..........I have been meaning to ask that question :rolleyes: 

Cloudy for me last night with a few bright stars just visible.

The Moon, Jupiter and Mars were bright enough to see some detail though, in fact I got some of my most detailed views of Jupiter to date! The seeing must have been better than normal... really steady :-)

Archived