NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clear skies tonight !

cotterless45

Well pleased with the forecast, even my seaweed has dried up ! A frost is forecast in Middle England.

I've got list........

Jupiter , 0.22 GRS transit.

Mars, 11.05 at it's highest.

Saturn,9.00 rises , 1.42 highest, 6.20 sets.

A load of doubles to finish , including Hercules. Revisiting some planetary nebulae and how could you not spot,

Panstarrs, 8.5 mag. In Canes Venatici at (11pm) 13h 26m 21s. +82 44' 40". Wonderfully clear and bright last time our.

Clear skies,

Nick.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloudy here....enjoy Nick.

The silver lining is that I( leave China on Sunday night, got a few days work in Turkey on the way back and then the week after next I can get to play with me grab 'n' go which is under the desk in my office in the UK.

The rest of the kit can be released when I have somewgere to live....

So I guess the weather will be murkey a week on Monday....

Not looking good for down here but last night was probably the best galaxy observing conditions I've ever been in. I even put up with observing in 'the dob hole' to see the beautiful spiral arms of M101 and M51 like I've never seen them before. It really was stunning, a night I'II remember for quite a while. :)

Hope the forecast stays good for you tonight nick, clear skies mate.

It`s a grey sky & a fine light rain and totally miserable here; BUT, as you say Nick, the forecast amazingly is clear skies and possible frost! So I too will be out tonight for the first time in over a fortnight. To all who can get out tonight....enjoy :smiley:  :smiley:

Clouds here.....rubbish,  & working tomorrow. I am starting to think that Mars will be in its next opposition by the time I finally get outside. Blimey its been nearly 4 weeks since I set up :angry7:

The forecast's looking good for cloud here so I'm hoping it will work out well.  Just been out with the new solar setup (white light - Lunt wedge + baader CF) so today's not going to be a write off either way.  I reckon I can just catch Saturn over the top of our house if I relocate to the bottom of the garden (I've been out checking the angles).  My daughter wants to get woken up if there's a chance of seeing Saturn so I may have an astro-buddy.  Deja-vu though as this is exactly how it looked a couple of days ago then when it came to it, just cloud all night.  At least it made me clean my webcam sensor and finish my diy Bahtinov mask..

A bit excessive, but looking at the larger scale forecast (Met Office, ECMWF) it looks like a good chance of clear skies (dominant high pressure system, no frontal systems over the UK) but it seems the Jet stream isn't going to be so nice.  http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=

shows high upper level wind speeds, i.e. more turbulence.

The Met Check website jet stream forecast looks similar and doesn't suggest good seeing: http://www.metcheck.com/HOBBIES/astronomy_forecast.asp?LocationID=3904

but if it's clear I'll be out.

derailing the thread a little but the Met Office are currently forecasting clear skies throughout the UK and it's the American NOAA NCEP GFS model that's predicting cloud cover.  They're predicting slightly different surface pressure patterns with the Met Office predicting a high pressure system to be more dominant so I guess that';s related.

The Beeb forecast suggests clear skies form 10 o/c tonight. I doubt if it's do-able for imaging but I may get the chance to check out one or two minor problems I'm having.

It looks as though I should see some sky after 22:00 ? the forecast for this weekend was looking better a few days ago  :rolleyes: with Sat night being the best night but cloud is now shown moving in on sat :lipsrsealed: I was thinking of having a go at Panstarrs as I have not tried yet.  :smiley: 

Archived