Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Was last night seeing, completely pants?

earth titan

Seeing down here in Sussex was pretty good last night Tom.

Jupiter and the moon were really steady, only mars jumped about a bit but that was down to it being quite low and improved as the night went on and it got higher.

I think Steve is right though, it can vary all over the place.

Seeing was fantastic in Surrey. I had the magnifcation racked up to 200x and could have gone higher.

Enjoyed watching Io transit Jupiter and could see a fair bit of detail on Mars.

Not that good here. The moon looked like it was under water and l could only see the two central cloud bands clearly on Jupiter. It is all to do with the temperature drop. Warm day, cold night.

One of the best nights for ages here last night. 500x on the moon and sharp as anything. Judging by the feedback above the seeing conditions are very inconsistent around the country though. JamesF is not that far from me and did not have much luck.

One of the best nights for ages here last night. 500x on the moon and sharp as anything. Judging by the feedback above the seeing conditions are very inconsistent around the country though. JamesF is not that far from me and did not have much luck.

Indeed.  The Moon was flapping like a flag in a stiff breeze last night :(

James

Heard the weatherman talking about something called a 'temperature inversion' early this morning, which causes hot air to rise and causes cloud cover later not day. Something caused by upper atmosphere movement.

Guess that might explain it!

Interesting to see this, I was wondering if it was just me as some folks had some cracking views of the Moon last night. While there was me giving up the thought of using a Barlow when imaging the Moon, it was wobbling a good one my way in Bedfordshire and I was starting to think perhaps my dew heater was too hot?!! But i don't think it was that, it's been much steadier view-wise before with the heater on the same setting.

Archived