Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Biggest astronomical regret?

MahlerMoonMan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missing every single good comet of the past twenty years. no excuses. I just couldn't be bothered, other things seemed important at the time(s).

Buying an AZ3.

Buying a starter scope and never quite managing to move on to something a bit better (maybe this year).

Trying to use a hyperion 24mm in an ST80.

Buying a focal reducer.

Buying a bahtinov mask for an ST80.

Trying to use rechargeable batteries in a 4SE mount.

Using expensive non-rechargeable batteries in a 4SE mount for nearly five years.

Buying a branded SkyWatcher power pack.

Buying the 7Ah SkyWatcher power pack not the 17Ah one.

Buying a SkyWatcher LER eyepiece.

Buying a UHC filter.

Buying a power supply for my 4SE mount.

Not getting out enough.

Missing Saturn last year.

Not having a bigger telescope for the last Mars opposition, nor probably the next Mars opposition.

:-)

My only regret was my first scope. It was a 90mm refrac on an EQ mount which cost me the guts of 350 squids brand new. I used it about  6 times in as many months. 

I just never took to it. The scope was fine..................the EQ mount was a pain in the behind.

lost my sketches and notes in a house move :angry4:  (not taken notes or sketched since)

the others are minor annoyances

dropping the etalon last year and detaching it

not seeing that meteor that lit up the ground and disturbed the wildlife as I was writing the previous -4  one down (year of the Persid fireballs, 93 I think)

missing comet west

Steve

Possibly that the Heritage 76 was the third telescope I bought, not the first. But hey, the refractor showed me the transit of Venus, the 4 1/2 inch may yet have its Dob mount finished (yeah right...), and I've had my binoculars.

And I suppose I missed out on better skies and good equipment by not getting involved in astronomy at Cambridge. But I don't let that bother me, I did plenty of other fun stuff when I was there.

I missed ISON, but there'll be good comets in future.

I just need to make sure I get a good look at Mars this opposition. I don't want to have to wait another two years!

I wish I'd started astronomy when I was younger with better eyes - and it would be nice to be fit enough to handle with more ease and less back damage, the kind of gear I enjoy using.

However - there are so many joyous benefits of this hobby, that any regrets (which can't be changed now anyway) are very much a minor consideration. :)

I have a few regrets.

The biggest is not being a member of SGL earlier and seeking infomation on scope purchase. Instead of the Mease LX I wanted and still do a Sumerian 18 inch, which could have been boutght for the same cost.

I also believe that buying Telvue and Pentax ( Nikon too if I could have ever bought them here) eyepieces from the outset and not loosing so much money on other brands. For the amount I lost it was not too far off half the cost of the Dobsonian 18 inch.

To finish not waiting for a Losmandy G11 mount, there was a 9 month wait if that was the truth.

Alan.

Just regret not seeing the transit of Venus. I found a high dark spot, arrived a couple of hour early, set up the scope and just sat there watching clouds, grrrrr!

Nick.

i took my family with flasks of hot chocolate and cookies, and they didn't have any regrets about standing on a hill 1800 feet above sea level at 4am. They loved it, cloud or not.  :)

What made it up for me was when I logged into SGL when we got back and people had kindly posted fabulous images of what we could have seen if it was clear!!

I regret not getting into astronomy earlier than what I did.

I also regret not doing as much research into different types of scopes and setups when I purchased my first scope. Don't get me wrong, I do like my SLT. It has given me many "wow" moments in the short time I have had it and I'm sure there will be plenty to come.

I regret buying my 10" dob when I did. I should have waited till spring when it warmed up a bit and I really have the time to get it out. It has been sitting in the corner of the living room taunting me for the last month.

I regret not seeing ISON when it was still alive. As far as comets go, I guess I also regret not getting out and seeing Lovejoy while there's still a chance.

I regret not having a bigger back yard with a better view of the sky and less streetlights.

So many more but you can get the idea  :grin:

Biggest regret is giving up astronomy about 25 or so years ago, and letting my 8" go to pot.

In some defence I was depressed by the rubbish seeing and LP in London, so didn't see the point of it.

Still working to get my 8" back in commission, but I may buy an AZ mount for it instead of mounting it on my HEQ5, as I don't want to go back to perching on a step ladder to reach the EP.

Missing Hale Bopp when it passed I the 90's. I mean I saw it with the naked eye of course, but for some reason I never hauled my old Tasco scope out of the shed to take a closer look. Was in my late teens at the time so was distracted by pubs and other more Earthly delights.

Regret it more now seeing as ISON was a total visual wash out......

I have no regrets at all. You can't do anything about it; wishing it were different only makes you suffer.

The only thing I might have done differently is the total eclipse in 1999. I got a great view of totality, even though the only kit I had was eclipse glasses. It really was a great experience. If it were to happen now, I would probably try to image it, but I suspect that I would spend more time messing with the kit trying to get the exposure right and the framing right and the video clips in the right folder etc. that I would probably miss out on sharing a special event with the family as I did in 1999.

I have no regrets at all. You can't do anything about it; wishing it were different only makes you suffer.

The only thing I might have done differently is the total eclipse in 1999. I got a great view of totality, even though the only kit I had was eclipse glasses. It really was a great experience. If it were to happen now, I would probably try to image it, but I suspect that I would spend more time messing with the kit trying to get the exposure right and the framing right and the video clips in the right folder etc. that I would probably miss out on sharing a special event with the family as I did in 1999.

I think your last point is very valid Rik. I see many people so bothered about capturing the moments in life, that they are missing out on actually experiencing it first hand.

When out on a boat on holiday in St Lucia, we got amongst a pod of 2 or 300 dolphins, they were everywhere, leaping about. I made a decision to put the camera down, and just enjoy the moment with my wife. A very good decision it was too, no photos but lots of memories. A very different subject but the sentiment is the same.

Stu

Archived