SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

1 minute ago, astrotyke said:

weathers rubbish tonight, and im skint as ive just been and bought a big tent, just about cost me when ive spent on my astro gear sofar lol ill have to get a second job me thinks :)

Star parties here we go 

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My attempt at imaging the giant active region AR2529 on the solar disc today.
Imaged using Imaging Source DMK21AU04.AS camera on Celestron 80mm refractor and using ND3.0 white light filter. This spectacular active area is going to be visible on the solar disc for the next couple of days, so fingers crossed for clear skies so we can enjoy it whilst it's there :)

FB_IMG_1460323219619.jpg

FB_IMG_1460323226441.jpg

3 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Looks huge Vicky, I bet its as big as Jupiter 

There are several composite images doing the rounds to show scale. I would say it is about 75-80% the size of Jupiter judging by what I've seen. Looks amazing using the white light filter. There are some stunning h-alpha and calcium-k images on this forum too as well as other white light images. It's a spectacular active region :)

9 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

My attempt at imaging the giant active region AR2529 on the solar disc today.
Imaged using Imaging Source DMK21AU04.AS camera on Celestron 80mm refractor and using ND3.0 white light filter. This spectacular active area is going to be visible on the solar disc for the next couple of days, so fingers crossed for clear skies so we can enjoy it whilst it's there :)

FB_IMG_1460323219619.jpg

FB_IMG_1460323226441.jpg

Awesome when you imagine the scale of it, nice one Vicky

8 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Awesome when you imagine the scale of it, nice one Vicky

It just blows your mind when you think of the scale of things too much. Then you compare this to the wider scale of our galaxy, and then the universe...... 

Isn't it just awesome!!!!

My first Mars image of this season. At a measly 12.9 arc seconds across (Jupiter 43s) and skirting just 10deg above the horizon, Mars proved to be a wobbly customer!
Even so, you can make out some matching land features. Looking forward to imaging it at opposition when it will be a neck breaking 15deg above ground.

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, Soupy said:

Just a heads up. Picked up some great fleeced lined Karimore trousers from sports direct yesterday for only £12.50 seem pretty good quality. Be great for chilly observing evenings. 

Be aware they may not be as good as the Karrimoor gear of old,  they are now owned by Lonsdale,  which are owned by Sports Direct,  which is why the stores are full of Lonsdale branded gear,

YOu may have got lucky, I had a pair of Karrimoor walking boots from SD that were quite cheap, lasted for years

Think I knew they had swapped hands Leigh. Had them on today and they seemed very warm, but it is Spring! for £12.50 they gotta be worth a try, you'd pay more than that for some thermals ;)

Up at just before 5am this morning and Mars was looking very bright and red. Saturn too was trailing above Scorpio with Antares doing its red twinkling dance below on the southern horizon.

Wish I could've got the scope out for a look but unfortunately twas time for work!!:undecided:

10 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

Nice new profile picture Damian. Is it one you took at Winscar last week.

The scope looks really good and I know it works better then it looks

Cheers Mark, No I went back with a proper camera as I just didn't like any of the photo's I took with my little Instant. The shot's on the build thread are the same

Archived