Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STOP PRESS :)   Ive actually remembered to click publish on the website and upload the monthly sky report with the highlites of up and coming events. it can be found here  http://wakefieldastronomysociety.co.uk/monthly-night-sky-report.html

Im hoping to make some changes to the site over the next few months, so any suggestions on things that you think would be a good edition to the site then please let me know.

Chris

Just now, astrotyke said:

ill find you im sure Damian if I go up there tomorrow. I just had a look on clear outside and they have it only clear there till about 9pm now, so will keep an eye on it

Met check has changed so I'll keep an eye on it myself and post on the events page if there is any difference. 

Just now, astrotyke said:

yea, bbc changed to clear till 9ish too now. it may change though again.

I have clear while 10pm at dunford bridge and then partly cloudy till about midnight. Seeing is very good though and they have been known to get it wrong.

indeed they have, like that night I didnt go up because the forecast said it was foggy etc and you said it was clear, clear till 10 might be ok for me anyway as im up at 6ish the following morning so couldnt stop too late anyway

Hope she gets well soon Chris... And nice Jupiter!

Can't make tonight neither as still up in Kielder so more chocolate saved! looking clear for me so far as well though. Fingers crossed we all get out :)

Hope you guys had a good one down there. I had a couple of hours clearish skies but clouded over fully now. Got a few pics on the astrotrac but the batteries ran out on me so not happy with that but did get a few wide field shots before they went. Just good to get clear skies, fingers crossed next Wednesday night is the same or better. ;)

Just in from a great session at Winscar along with Mark, Eric and Ryan.

Got there at just gone half 7 and not long after Mark turned  up.

Clear skies turned to a few clouds but never more than 50% cloud cover. The main bank of cloud started at just gone 12 although myself and Mark had just decided to call it a night.

Great time and great to be out again 

6 hours ago, mapstar said:

Just in from a great session at Winscar along with Mark, Eric and Ryan.

Got there at just gone half 7 and not long after Mark turned  up.

Clear skies turned to a few clouds but never more than 50% cloud cover. The main bank of cloud started at just gone 12 although myself and Mark had just decided to call it a night.

Great time and great to be out again 

Sky was good for us tonight. for me, my best views yet of some wonderful sights up there. thanks to 'tremendous knowledge' Damian>Mark & later Ryan for the company

Just as an afterthought, we were on the small car park at the Sailing Club, seemed a better spot with the bonus of being able to get a signal on the mobile so I could make a couple of calls home.

Eric

Well what a fantastic night thanks to Damian,Eric and Ryan and a big 22" dob . 

I also had my 8"pds but the views through the 22 were stunning. Something to be proud of Damian. 

Over 20 galaxies last night in the pds and a host of other items. 

Thanks again all had a super night ????????

Glad you had a good session up there guys, i wanted to be there but it wasnt to be so I went out into the garden and setup there, but the seeing wasnt as good as the other night. Im not sure I like the sound of having a mobile signal, not having one is a big plus point lol.

Ill hopefully be there on the next dunford bridge session though :)

The sky was, as Eric has said, kind with the cloud cover and nothing like as forecast with the gap lasting a lot longer.

The seeing wasn't the best and you could see this with Jupiter boiling in the atmosphere and the globular clusters we looked at (M3, M13, M53, M92) also showed the turbulence. 

Noteworthy was the temperature which was pleasant and the wind dropped to near nothing most of the time. Just goes to show the forecast isn't always right.

I saw a lovely meteor straight through ursa major although didn't note the time. I also tracked the ISS in the dob a couple of times the longest being about 10 seconds. A glowing tie fighter is the best way to describe it.

Fantastic evening enjoyed by all 

Archived