Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mark62 said:

I will be up around 8:30 will see you in small car park if you change ur mind let me know 

I'll pack the gear in the car make sure you have all your cold weather gear as it's not going to be warm!

Just arrived home after a few hours out Viewing.

The DLB was making finding targets difficult so after a dozen I had almost given up.

Mark spent most of the evening practicing his polar alignment

We left as mars and saturn were racing across the sky. 

Just myself and Mark 

6 hours ago, mapstar said:

Just arrived home after a few hours out Viewing.

The DLB was making finding targets difficult so after a dozen I had almost given up.

Mark spent most of the evening practicing his polar alignment

We left as mars and saturn were racing across the sky. 

Just myself and Mark 

Yes ur right Damian I did and I still don't know how to do it lol. 

It was one mess up after another but I did find somethings in between loosing power, moving the scope and dropping the hand pice lol we'll never mind it was fun 

18 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

Yes ur right Damian I did and I still don't know how to do it lol. 

It was one mess up after another but I did find somethings in between loosing power, moving the scope and dropping the hand pice lol we'll never mind it was fun 

We both had scope gremlins.

I was pleased with my initial set up as after tearing down the scope last time out and then setting up again the collimation was nearly spot on with only a minute adjustment needed.

I had done a little sanding near the az bearing and I think I must've picked up some grit on the teflon so had some sticking during small nudges.

It was getting better during the night but as it was so smooth before I'm going to have to take a look at it today.

All in though it was a pleasant night spoilt by the DLB. I couldn't quite get low enough with the scope to look at Mars so it will have to wait for another night 

3 hours ago, mapstar said:

I had done a little sanding near the az bearing and I think I must've picked up some grit on the teflon so had some sticking during small nudges.

It was getting better during the night but as it was so smooth before I'm going to have to take a look at it today.

Right guys, had a check on the bearings and can confirm my initial suspicions about me being dozy!!

20160417_124253_001.jpg

Stripped and meticulously cleaned the formica and scraped the teflon with a stanley knife blade. 

Feels nice and smooth again so gave myself a good talking to and away we go again. I may test it out tonight but with the DLB out it will be jupiter and a couple of other targets.

Image of sunspot AR12529 taken this afternoon using William Optics FLT-110 refractor, 1.25" Lunt Herschel Wedge, Baader 7nm H-alpha filter, Celestrol X-Cel LX 2 x barlow and QHY5-L-II monochrome planetary camera. Single frame image as RegiStax6 is not playing ball since the Windows 10 update. This active region has been a pleaseure to view during the last week when the clouds have shifted!

AR12529 17.04.2016 (2).jpg

2 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Image of sunspot AR12529 taken this afternoon using William Optics FLT-110 refractor, 1.25" Lunt Herschel Wedge, Baader 7nm H-alpha filter, Celestrol X-Cel LX 2 x barlow and QHY5-L-II monochrome planetary camera. Single frame image as RegiStax6 is not playing ball since the Windows 10 update. This active region has been a pleaseure to view during the last week when the clouds have shifted!

AR12529 17.04.2016 (2).jpg

Vicky. I got my first 'live' view of this huge sunspot on Wednesday with Soupy while we were waiting to load the truck for Keilder, never realised how big these things were lol

Eric

Eric - it's truly stunning to view - you can't fully comprehend just how big it is. You can fit the Earth into the "dark" region alone approx. 3 times!!! Mind boggling!!

Finally got RegiStax6 to work after a little advice from Chris. Apparently, it doesn't like files that are over 1GB, so after running one of my AVIs through PIPP to select the best 50% of the 1000 frames, I could then run it through RegiStax6 - phew!

Stacked and processed image of AR12529 taken this afternoon using William Optics FLT-110 refractor, 1.25" Lunt Herschel Wedge, Baader 7nm H-alpha filter, Celestron X-Cel LX 2 x barlow and QHY5L-II Monochrome planetary camera.

AR12529 17.04.2016.jpg

5 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Looks like all the forecasts were wrong for tonight. Its wall to wall cloud here :cussing:

Yup, same here. Clouded over at around 5pm and it has been practically wall to wall ever since. The moon would have been out in force making any DSO observing very difficult though.

The met office seemed to get it right for me - complete cloud cover, but clear outside says it is nice out there. And I've got a new telrad to play with too... (i did manage to get it attached and nicely aligned this evening though)

Archived