SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Just a few M67,M53,M89 & 90, M65&66, Ncg3628, M86 & 87, M92 Ic809, M59, M64,M84,M86,Ngc2903, Eskimo nebular, Ring nebular, Beehive cluster and lots of Ngc That I did not jot down and some of the regular ones you always have to look at just cos there so nice. 

Thanks again Damian, Eric and Ryan 

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentioning seeing conditions

I went for a few planetary Nebula starting in Gemini. The Eskimo Nebula was a great sight with the blue colouring coming out lovely and the inner shells after time becoming apparent. Everyone had a look at this through my scope. I then went for the double NGC2371-2372 below and between castor and pollux. I found it before the clouds came and spoilt play so really didn't manage to have any time on them. I found them easily at first but when I had the chance to return I couldn't find them again no matter how hard I tried. I think the seeing had deteriorated that much.

Further down in Gemini I tried for the Medusa Nebula but again couldn't see it.

I did manage to find NGC6210 whilst the clouds obscured my view of Gemini which was a lovely little sight. The white eyed pea IC4593 eluded me later in the night but as mentioned before the seeing had gone.

9 hours ago, mapstar said:

Mentioning seeing conditions

I went for a few planetary Nebula starting in Gemini. The Eskimo Nebula was a great sight with the blue colouring coming out lovely and the inner shells after time becoming apparent. Everyone had a look at this through my scope. I then went for the double NGC2371-2372 below and between castor and pollux. I found it before the clouds came and spoilt play so really didn't manage to have any time on them. I found them easily at first but when I had the chance to return I couldn't find them again no matter how hard I tried. I think the seeing had deteriorated that much.

Further down in Gemini I tried for the Medusa Nebula but again couldn't see it.

I did manage to find NGC6210 whilst the clouds obscured my view of Gemini which was a lovely little sight. The white eyed pea IC4593 eluded me later in the night but as mentioned before the seeing had gone.

Eskimo  Nebula looked fantastic in Damians scope, looked like a red indian wearing a Parka Jacket to me, what a scope that is.

3rd night in Florida and 3rd night of exceptional skies!

Just spent a couple of hours on the observation deck on the roof of animal kingdom lodge and the skies are epic. Temp is 20c shorts and t-shirts observing with my bins and beautiful staedy seeing. Loads to see with bins when it's this clear - nice after stuffing my face with a 32oz porterhouse steak and beer.........

Shame I couldn't sneak the 12" dob in hand luggage

Just had a look at a couple of weather reports and it is showing a clear spell forecast for Barnsley on Saturday night. Further afield it's not looking too good though. 

Long range has next Thursday night as showing good though so I may get out

6 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Just had a look at a couple of weather reports and it is showing a clear spell forecast for Barnsley on Saturday night. Further afield it's not looking too good though. 

Just took delivery of my new Starlight Focuser, so it rained all the way back from the Parcelforce depot and expected again tonight.  :evil4:

Ate the last of the Galloway pies as well last night! :p

17 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Yea, it was showing clear after 2am on Sunday, but its gradually got earlier and earlier. Im stuck at home on saturday night so cant travel as the misses is out.

15 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Just took delivery of my new Starlight Focuser, so it rained all the way back from the Parcelforce depot and expected again tonight.  :evil4:

Those were nice Pies! :headbang:

6 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

Yea, it was showing clear after 2am on Sunday, but its gradually got earlier and earlier. Im stuck at home on saturday night so cant travel as the misses is out.

Yes it's steadily getting better by the hour so I may get out myself. Hoping the weather is going to improve for a trip to Winscar again

the forecasts are the other way round today, clear outside has it cloudy at mine on Saturday.The met office has a couple of clear hours, but nothing like the BBC forecast.

Update, its litterally just changed agin on the BBC forecast right before my eyes toa couple of hours of clear skies then to mixed. typical lol

3 hours ago, Physopto said:

Those pies have got a lot to answer for......

Damian, looks like you have some competition in the pie munching stakes. Be afraid, very afraid....

I saw the launch, I saw the launch!!!!!

Very lucky we were at the right place at the right time to have an uninterrupted Eastern view from the magic kingdom (wonder how that happened?) And was able to watch the full launch. Well we were about 15 miles away so missed the first few seconds....

But it was spectacular and we could easily make out the 3  distinct bands from the rocket exhaust plume and lovely detail on the rocket through my bins. Girl-child was thrilled and we had about 30 people around us asking what it was when we got all excited and they were gobsmacked when they saw it arcing up.

See, doing outreach even on holiday!

Archived