Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Sky at Night - The End

palebluedot

I think this thread is perhaps going a bit... Off the rails maybe.

We need to chill a bit with the beeb slagging and stay on topic which is to highlight the fact that the BBC are a bunch of ignorant self centred morons that just care about celebrity chefs and the like... Oh... I've done it too :D

sign the petition... Spread the link... Tell anyone that will listen!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-bbc-please-do-not-axe-the-sky-at-night

But seriously if we get too silly the mods may close a very worthwhile thread

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this thread is perhaps going a bit... Off the rails maybe.

We need to chill a bit with the beeb slagging and stay on topic which is to highlight the fact that the BBC are a bunch of ignorant self centred morons that just care about celebrity chefs and the like... Oh... I've done it too :D

sign the petition... Spread the link... Tell anyone that will listen!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-bbc-please-do-not-axe-the-sky-at-night

But seriously if we get too silly the mods may close a very worthwhile thread

Ain't twatter great.. He'd not make it past the mods with his first post on SGL! Utter drivel. If I made comments like that in public my career would be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

and this post is better how on a family friendly forum?

Just signed the petition.

The BBC has really dumbed down so much programming to save cash that their executives may get big bonuses. No one at the BBC should get bonuses especially with licence fee money. When you look at how much they pay for OTT presenters it is ridiculous, when the BBC employed Jonathan Ross on £6,000,000 a year that equated to 45,000 licence fee payers paying their TV license just to keep him in a job, outrageous.

They should cut all wages drasticly to below £50,000 for all top positions and if they come up the the excuse that they will lose these people to other high-paying jobs then I say GOOD, there are loads of jobless people who would love a career in the BBC on lower wages. They the licence fee will go to getting some decent TV instead of the drivvy and drivvy repeats that we get now of stupid cooking programmes, cooking competitions and reality TV rubbish etc. I harly watch TV now because the standard format of every TV programme is to start with a "5min what's coming up" section, 2 mins of the programme followed by the same "what's coming up" followed by 10mins of programme then a catch up on what we have just seen followed by yet another what's coming up blah blah b;ah, so a 1 hour program is actually in fact 30mins long. Oh and the rubbish presenters who narrate the TV show make out that everything is the world is going to come to an end because some person in the programe is in a life or death situation when in fact it's just the normal run of the mill everyday stuff. (If Peter can not get in touch with the Head Office the whole distribution network could fall apart!!!)

Enough of my rubbish I have to watch the BBC News to see if they are still avoiding the word terroist for the people who attched the shopping centre in Kenya.

Please can the presents of Sky At Night persuade the BBC powers there is a demad for a good science/astronomy programme.

I for one will be gutted if they pull the plug. I suppose that the production costs for something that is only on for 20 minutes once a month are high, but this is a niche market and we pay our tv licence just like everyone else.

Compare that to the unmitigated rubbish that is on our screens on a Saturday night. It does get the ratings (goodness knows why).

I have the S@N magazine on my Facebook profile and their editor Chris Bramley has said that it is due to run until the end of the year at least and the execs at the Beeb are currently looking at it. A decision will be made in due course.

I think this sort of fuss just gives the tv companies a sense of their own importance... "o look so many people are voting on a petition, we must be really significant..." let's just forget the tv companies, we all get our information from the internet these days anyway.

Repost: Summary of the relevant info: 

Petition http://www.change.or...he-sky-at-night

Facebook group https://www.facebook...98459717050634/

BBC complaints: http://www.bbc.co.uk...omplain-online/

Hashtag #SaveSkyAtNight

BBC email addresses: danny.cohen@bbc.co.uk, kim.shillinglaw@bbc.co.uk, john.lynch@bbc.co.uk, david.jordan@bbc.co.uk, janice.hadlow@bbc.co.uk, natalie.humphreys@bbc.co.uk, emma.swain@bbc.co.uk

and this post is better how on a family friendly forum?

You are correct..  It didn't even occur to me and certainly wasn't my intention that it meant nothing more than the "stupid or obnoxious person" referred to in the dictionary.  Forgetting the origin of the language & trying to make an oxymoronic? and hurried post from ones phone is not a good idea and certainly not an excuse. I apologise for any offence caused.

If it goes, it'll be a shame, but not a surprise in these hard times... Some chap on Radio 4 this morning said that there are other broadcasters doing programmes of a similar nature. I for one disagree - there's nothing else out there right now with the regularity, or quality of content.

Perhaps they could get rid of SAN (wasn't that something you lost in a game I used to play) and add the content to "an everyday story of country folk.....". 

e.g.

"Oh Arrrrr Phil, us skies are not so light polluted that you can't see that Wolf-Raynet"

"Arrrrr...."

"What with your big Dobbo, you could nip out of the milking parlour for a few subs...."

"Arrrr!...."

"..But they say Martin Rees has put in a planning application to flatten Ambridge, and build a telescope array...."

"Arrrr?...."

(closing cliffhanger music... "Next week in the Archers...bets are placed on whether the Astronomer Royal missed off a "C")

Perhaps they could get rid of SAN (wasn't that something you lost in a game I used to play) and add the content to "an everyday story of country folk.....". 

e.g.

"Oh Arrrrr Phil, us skies are not so light polluted that you can't see that Wolf-Raynet"

"Arrrrr...."

"What with your big Dobbo, you could nip out of the milking parlour for a few subs...."

"Arrrr!...."

"..But they say Martin Rees has put in a planning application to flatten Ambridge, and build a telescope array...."

"Arrrr?...."

(closing cliffhanger music... "Next week in the Archers...bets are placed on whether the Astronomer Royal missed off a "C")

Have astronomers suddenly become pirates?

I heard the subject briefly discussed on bbc2 on the j.vine show. im not a out and out sky at night addict, but I have to say if the beeb cant have some sort of astronomy based programme once a month for 20 minutes or so ,that id imagine costs little in the scheme of things. then its a sad day indeed. 

I am hopeful that the discussions will involve rescheduling to a more sensible time in the evening, and maybe even expanding it.  With the success of Stargazing Live it is difficult to see why it would be axed.

It's the Crimson Permanent Assurance! (Possibly a little esoteric)

Its fun to charter an accountant and sail the wide accountancy,

To find, explore the funds offshore and skirt the shoals of bankruptcy.  :laugh:

Not a million miles off with the bean counters probably having something to do with axing the show I reckon.

The Beeb will do what they want to do and i fear no petition will sway their minds.

Sad but true. 

Only time will tell Paul. But a 21000 (and some) petition will be hard to ignore, especially with the backlash they are receiving through other channels.

e.g.

"Arrrrr...."

"Arrrr!...."

"Arrrr?...."

Are we now moving production to Somsert/Devon?

Archived