SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Sky at Night - The End

palebluedot

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watch very little TV. Mostly just the BBC news channel and I'm bored with that too.

I can honestly say that I couldn't care less if the whole lot stopped broadcasting. It's mostly so bad I can't be bothered to sift through to see if there is anything worth watching.

Recently I installed the iPlayer desk top utility that saves programmes you highlight on your computer just so I get to see what you're talking about. So I've seen a few more S@N than I might otherwise have. I prefer the new format. A bit more up-beat. It needs to be to keep my attention!

It would be a shame if the Beeb found yet another way to be even dumber but it won't surprise me and I won't shed any tears if S@N is axed. Just a shame they won't be axing all the numbskull dross too and free the minds of a whole generation! 

Things such a that there Downton Abbey that is being raved about. The MD lives it and breathes it. Yet it makes me wretch. Utter, utter drivel! So what chance do they have trying to please people like me!

Anyway, don't mind old misery guts...I've got a big new scope coming tomorrow. Who needs TV! :)

Shame they can't move it to BBC4, guess it's all money when it comes down to it. Although heard that Cosmos is been re-made with Neil DeGrasse Tyson

It is shown on BBC4, and it's longer than the BBC2 programme.  I record it from BBC4 for that reason.

James

Signed the petition and tweeted. 

I used the hashtag #savetheskyatnight instead of #saveskyatnight. Sorry about that! 
So far had 31 retweets (lets hope they all signed the petition) and a favourite from the producer it seems :-) 

I sincerely hope that the programme is saved, however as a 'moderately' young person I cringe at comments criticising "dumbing down" these sorts of programmes. (Seem to be in the minority there) 
I personally long for this minority to become the majority...I truly believe a programme such as the sky at night can achieve this, but not if you aim a programme solely
 at experienced amateur astronomers. 
Not saying this is what they have been doing in the past. 

Not sure many of my parents' generation and above understand how lucky they were growing up thats all. The space race, moon landings, carl sagan and Sir Patrick Moore for inspiration!! 
With technology as it is today, it tragically takes a lot to encourage many young people to tear themselves away from their tablets and games and twitter, brave the elements and look up!

If the sky at night is axed there will be nothing, not only for us.  

Long live the sky at night.
Definitely haven't explained myself well there haha but I tried. 

Dan  :smiley:

Signed the petition and tweeted. 

I used the hashtag #savetheskyatnight instead of #saveskyatnight. Sorry about that! 

So far had 31 retweets (lets hope they all signed the petition) and a favourite from the producer it seems :-) 

I sincerely hope that the programme is saved, however as a 'moderately' young person I cringe at comments criticising "dumbing down" these sorts of programmes. (Seem to be in the minority there) 

I personally long for this minority to become the majority...I truly believe a programme such as the sky at night can achieve this, but not if you aim a programme solely at experienced amateur astronomers. 

Not saying this is what they have been doing in the past. 

Not sure many of my parents' generation and above understand how lucky they were growing up thats all. The space race, moon landings, carl sagan and Sir Patrick Moore for inspiration!! 

With technology as it is today, it tragically takes a lot to encourage many young people to tear themselves away from their tablets and games and twitter, brave the elements and look up!

If the sky at night is axed there will be nothing, not only for us.  

Long live the sky at night.

Definitely haven't explained myself well there haha but I tried. 

Dan  :smiley: 

Petition signed, retweeted and shared on Facebook.......

Ian

under a new BBC (Boring blumming Chefs) 90 % of programmes must now be cooking related

so they're bringing in Sue Perkins to present the new format and calling it The Pie at Night.

i got this from a reliable sauce. :rolleyes:

Love it :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

This sounds bad but does everyone remember how little time the BBC dedicated to a programme when Sir Patrick Passed what was it 40 mins at best shows you how dedicated hey are to the show. I for one do not want it to stop i have signed retweeted plastered it to any of my friends who i know are interested in astronomy and those who are not just to get them to sign the petition.

I'm somewhat in two minds about this.

There certainly needs to be a The Sky at Night type programme on the BBC (that isn't Stargazing Live), and there is clearly an audience for it.

However, I'm not personally convinced the programme, in its current post-Patrick format, is it. I thought the programme should largely continue as it was (obviously without Patrick) but maybe I'm alone one that idea.

The current programme doesn't really fit into the BBC's own specification for commissioning science programming. It shouldn't be cancelled, but at the same time one wonders if it's possible for producers/commissioning editors to make a case for it now Patrick is gone.

So if there is a chance to appropriately reformat such a programme and have it continue, then perhaps it could be for the best.

That all said, we have no first-hand evidence about what is going to happen. So perhaps we should seek official confirmation.

Archived