NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sky at Night - The End

palebluedot

no doubt it will fall on deaf ears!

Or, as more usually, things just "happen" (die down) and we never know... except re. the retrospective consequences? :p

Such is the way with many "issues" - Even of "national interest". News at the time, but we never get to know the outcome...

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up the oct issue of s@n yesterday. really disappointing effort in my opinion. Even the planetarium piece on the disc which I used to look forward to seemed like an effort for pete and chris. just a little over it all to be honest and I can't see me parting with another £4.99 again. think I'll stick with sky and telescope from now on. 

Seriously Beeb execs...............listen up because i will say this only once:

Your flagship soap "EastEnders" is becoming mind numbingly utter tripe (some say it always has been) and its obvious that viewing figures are falling like a house of cards. The top earning actors (lets call them actors just for fun) are jumping ship like drowning rats. It's time to stop flogging a dead horse. 

Think of the number of episodes you could make of S@N per year for the next 10-20 yrs if you redirected the budget from this one show,which let's face it,has outstayed its welcome on our screens.

I never could stomach Eastenders. Seems no-one can even order a cup of tea without screaming threats to break someone's fingers, Even mum, who was addicted gave up some years before she died as it had stopped making sense.

So yes, can Eastenders and give the slot to S @ N

Picked up the oct issue of s@n yesterday. really disappointing effort in my opinion. Even the planetarium piece on the disc which I used to look forward to seemed like an effort for pete and chris. just a little over it all to be honest and I can't see me parting with another £4.99 again. think I'll stick with sky and telescope from now on. 

I signed up for 12 editions for about £26...

I made a complaint to the BBC over the loss of S@N and have received this ( maybe standard?) email reply earlier today-

"Many thanks for taking the time to contact us about 'The Sky at Night'.

We raised your concerns with the programme, who have responded as follows:

“We know that 'The Sky at Night' has a loyal fan base and we understand your concern about the rumours over the future of the series. We would like to say that these are pure speculation. As happens with every programme or series, there are currently discussions around the future of 'The Sky at Night'. However this is commonplace in broadcasting, even for such a long-running series as this. Such discussions involve many aspects e.g. future commissions, how programmes should or could develop/evolve, what is best for the programme/channel and, importantly, for the audience.

So for now all we can tell you is that 'The Sky at Night' is on air until the end of the year and that plans for subsequent series are currently being discussed. We appreciate your continued support for the programme and we will update everyone with more information as soon as we are able.”

Thanks once again for taking the time to get in touch.

BBC Complaints
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints "

Cheers,

Steve

I wonder how many of the 40,000 actually watch S@N ?

Sky at Night gets a million viewers a month, (and by the way I believe that the magazine has a circulation of about 100,000).

Not bad for a show that doesn't have a regular slot...

Sky at Night gets a million viewers a month, (and by the way I believe that the magazine has a circulation of about 100,000).

It does have a regular slot and i have to say that i doubt it gets a million viewers a month. Maybe worldwide.............but certainly not in the UK.

Interesting...I've heard figures of 200 000 and dropping. Quite a discrepency there.

edit:- I'd be very dissappointed if a show with 1M viewers could only manage 40 000 signatures in 2 weeks

It does have a regular slot and i have to say that i doubt it gets a million viewers a month. Maybe worldwide.............but certainly not in the UK.

It's on each month but not at a regular time.

And the viewing figures come from Chris Lintott:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Total viewing figures for a typical Sky at Night, across BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4 : roughly a million. Just saying.</p>— chrislintott (@chrislintott) <a href="https://twitter.com/chrislintott/statuses/382867167307251713">September 25, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting...I've heard figures of 200 000 and dropping. Quite a discrepency there.

edit:- I'd be very dissappointed if a show with 1M viewers could only manage 40 000 signatures in 2 weeks

It's not easy to mobilize people so I think that 40k signatures is pretty good, personally

It's on each month but not at a regular time.

And the viewing figures come from Chris Lintott:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Total viewing figures for a typical Sky at Night, across BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4 : roughly a million. Just saying.</p>— chrislintott (@chrislintott) <a href="https://twitter.com/chrislintott/statuses/382867167307251713">September 25, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's not easy to mobilize people so I think that 40k signatures is pretty good, personally

with twitter, fb, sgl I'd imagine you'll have reached 95% of the viewers within the first 48 hrs. I think it took me all of two minutes to sign. By my reckoning using your figures 4% of the viewers have signed. 

with twitter, fb, sgl I'd imagine you'll have reached 95% of the viewers within the first 48 hrs. I think it took me all of two minutes to sign. By my reckoning using your figures 4% of the viewers have signed. 

So what's your point?  Are you saying that 40k signatures throws doubt on Chris's assertion of the viewing figures or that Sky at Night viewers can't be bothered to sign up or don't care if the show is cancelled?

I made a complaint to the BBC over the loss of S@N and have received this ( maybe standard?) email reply earlier today-

"Many thanks for taking the time to contact us about 'The Sky at Night'.

We raised your concerns with the programme, who have responded as follows:

“We know that 'The Sky at Night' has a loyal fan base and we understand your concern about the rumours over the future of the series. We would like to say that these are pure speculation. As happens with every programme or series, there are currently discussions around the future of 'The Sky at Night'. However this is commonplace in broadcasting, even for such a long-running series as this. Such discussions involve many aspects e.g. future commissions, how programmes should or could develop/evolve, what is best for the programme/channel and, importantly, for the audience.

So for now all we can tell you is that 'The Sky at Night' is on air until the end of the year and that plans for subsequent series are currently being discussed. We appreciate your continued support for the programme and we will update everyone with more information as soon as we are able.”

Thanks once again for taking the time to get in touch.

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints "

Cheers,

Steve

I guess if you are planning for a second 56 year ''Series'' you would need to give it a little thought..

Seeing you asked... I'm saying that if in fact there is 1M viewers then 40 000 (4%) signing a petition to save the show is at best pretty low. whether or not the other 96% can';t be bothered or don't care if the show is cancelled, I don't know them so I'll leave the speculation to others. what I would like to see is some figures on the shows audience from an unbiased source. 

Now 40 000 sigs from an audience of 200 000 (20%) I'd say sounds pretty reasonable. Sorry if questioning your figures seems unreasonable although I would have thought if anything, science has told us to question everything.

Archived