NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sky at Night - The End

palebluedot

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BARB state that there are 26 million TV viewing households and they take figures from 5000 of such households.

By my (incredibly inept) calculations, that means that they take figures from less than 0.02% of tv viewing household.  Can this be right? 

Nope, got that wrong... it says that each home they monitor, represents 5000 homes... Doesn't seem to say how many homes are on their panel though... 

http://www.barb.co.uk/resources/reference-documents/how-we-do-what-we-do

Well, if there are 26m homes with televisions and each one they monitor is supposed to represent 5,000, that suggests  5,200 on the panel.

I don't know if 0.02% is sufficient, but as these numbers are taken quite seriously I imagine there's some statistical validation for the model.

James

Ah, Twitter. Given up here too. Never much into "role models", and don't envy the "youth of today".

At least I spent some of my life believing there was an "adult world"  which didn't have to "eff & jeff"

and maybe thought before saying the first stupid / offensive thing that popped into their head.  :rolleyes2:

The internet has some potential... And I am enjoying a certain "retro protest spirit" on this one!  :D

Wow indeed his tweets are shocking (although the whole existence of twitter is shocking), and its quite obvious the man really is a moron. However is he actually a BBC head? Looking around wiki i can see he hosts shows and writes for the BBC but can find no mention of him being a head. I would imagine a man of his talents could only be the head of contents of his own underpants.

Wow indeed his tweets are shocking (although the whole existence of twitter is shocking), and its quite obvious the man really is a moron. However is he actually a BBC head? Looking around wiki i can see he hosts shows and writes for the BBC but can find no mention of him being a head. I would imagine a man of his talents could only be the head of contents of his own underpants.

I don't think he's a BBC employee, having had a hunt on the net.  He appears to be a television journo.  And not a very smart one at that.  Shame the BBC couldn't find someone with a brain to offer another view of the situation.

James

I've just looked up the audience figures for "Newsnight Review"/"The Review Show" which I'd say is a reasonably heavily arts-based programme with a minority audience.  Not always my thing, but I used to watch it if they were discussing something that piqued my interest.

Looks like the BBC are doing their best to kill that one off, too, shuffling it off to BBC4 from BBC2 earlier this year with a massive drop in audience figures at the same time.  So perhaps it's not just "proper" science programming that is suffering.  Maybe they're trying to axe anything that is remotely intellectually challenging...

James

Sadly the Beeb has been declining in quality for some time now and i really resent the fact i have no option but to pay a license for it despite the fact i never actually watch it anymore. It should be left to fund itself with the rest making it responsible for its budget instead of just shoving it in some fat cats pockets. Mind it may also mean the screening on the BBC of such science classics as "SHARKNADO"

Archived