NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sky at Night - The End

palebluedot

Brian May on Twitter tonight, talking about the current situation with The Sky at Night:

"Here's a thing, @Saveskyatnight fans. The BBC are saying there is no money left for the Sky@Night - but - wanna know a secret ?

I guested on Stargazing Live too and I learned that the budget for just 1 night of SG would pay for 1 WHOLE YEAR of S@N. What does that say?"

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian May on Twitter tonight, talking about the current situation with The Sky at Night:

"Here's a thing, @Saveskyatnight fans. The BBC are saying there is no money left for the Sky@Night - but - wanna know a secret ?

I guested on Stargazing Live too and I learned that the budget for just 1 night of SG would pay for 1 WHOLE YEAR of S@N. What does that say?"

So, is this the most reliable source we've had yet that the S@N is in trouble? ie: It's all be rumours thus far, but here's Brian May stating "there is no money left for Sky@Night"...

Seems painful that there's no money left for an education 30min program once a month, but plenty of budget for appalling low-brow prime time nonsense like That Puppet Game Show.

Repost: Summary of the relevant info: 

Petition http://www.change.or...he-sky-at-night

Facebook group https://www.facebook...98459717050634/

BBC complaints: http://www.bbc.co.uk...omplain-online/

Hashtag #SaveSkyAtNight

BBC email addresses: danny.cohen@bbc.co.uk, kim.shillinglaw@bbc.co.uk, john.lynch@bbc.co.uk, david.jordan@bbc.co.uk, janice.hadlow@bbc.co.uk, natalie.humphreys@bbc.co.uk, emma.swain@bbc.co.uk

Here is the latest tweet from Brian May which implies that the BBC are now pleading poverty as an excuse to axe the S@N

1. I guested on Stargazing Live too and I learned that the budget for just 1 night of SG would pay for 1 WHOLE YEAR of S@N. What does that say?

Expand
    •  
    •  
    •  
  2. 9h

Here's a thing, @Saveskyatnight fans. The BBC are saying there is no money left for the Sky@Night - but - wanna know a secret ? ....

Seems painful that there's no money left for an education 30min program once a month, but plenty of budget for appalling low-brow prime time nonsense like That Puppet Game Show.

Saying "there's no money" is like saying "I'm too busy".

It doesn't mean literally what it says. It means the person/organisation has no interest in finding the money or time necessary. However, you can bet everything you own that they *will* manage to find the time/money for things they are interested in.

Saying "there's no money" is like saying "I'm too busy".

It doesn't mean literally what it says. It means the person/organisation has no interest in finding the money or time necessary. However, you can bet everything you own that they *will* manage to find the time/money for things they are interested in.

Very much agree.  I'd also suggest that thanks to "the unique way the BBC is funded" if there is a shortage of cash then programmes such as S@N should be the last ones axed because no-one else will make them.  I can't imagine the same uproar if "tat in your attic" were axed.  Partly because the audience probably couldn't be bothered to shift their backsides off the sofa, and partly because pretty much the same programme is showing on three other channels at the same time.

James

Very much agree.  I'd also suggest that thanks to "the unique way the BBC is funded" if there is a shortage of cash then programmes such as S@N should be the last ones axed because no-one else will make them.  I can't imagine the same uproar if "tat in your attic" were axed.  Partly because the audience probably couldn't be bothered to shift their backsides off the sofa, and partly because pretty much the same programme is showing on three other channels at the same time.

James

Quite right.

Listen up chaps.

If anyone has it left in them for another email, Andrew Cohen (Head of Science at the BBC) would love to hear what you like so much about the show its current presenters  :evil:

The show currently costs peanuts to produce, the quality of the programme is down to the combined knowledge of the presenters, which means that armies of researchers and fact checkers are not required. If we lose any of the team, then a substantial fraction of that knowledge will be lost and the show would become a poorer version of it's former self and quality would undoubtedly suffer. Let's face it, the BBC will not be increasing the budget for the show no matter how many signatures there are on the petition, they will only be looking to shave more off.

So please send your (polite) support for the show and presenters to Andrew Cohen at andrew.cohen@bbc.co.uk.

Repost: Summary of the relevant info: 

Petition http://www.change.or...he-sky-at-night

Facebook group https://www.facebook...98459717050634/

BBC complaints: http://www.bbc.co.uk...omplain-online/

Hashtag #SaveSkyAtNight

BBC email addresses: danny.cohen@bbc.co.uk, kim.shillinglaw@bbc.co.uk, john.lynch@bbc.co.uk, david.jordan@bbc.co.uk, janice.hadlow@bbc.co.uk, natalie.humphreys@bbc.co.uk, emma.swain@bbc.co.uk

Just another little bump of the links for anyone just finding this thread!

I haven't had a chance to read all of the replies. They were talking on the radio the other day and said that the viewing figures were around 280,000 (may have the number wrong!). I don't know whether it just boils down simply to the audience size, I assume the show must be on the cusp to say that they are thinking about it's future.  Some argued that Stargazers Live and Wonders of the Solar System etc have replaced it, but don't see how that can be as they are not regular.

I haven't had a chance to read all of the replies. They were talking on the radio the other day and said that the viewing figures were around 280,000 (may have the number wrong!). I don't know whether it just boils down simply to the audience size, I assume the show must be on the cusp to say that they are thinking about it's future.  Some argued that Stargazers Live and Wonders of the Solar System etc have replaced it, but don't see how that can be as they are not regular.

That figure looks about right. But let's not forget, it's for a niche market, and on for 30mins a month.

If the BBC "can it" I will be gob smacked! In short I wouldn't be able to believe they could "dumb down" that amount!

Archived