Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Sky at Night - The End

palebluedot

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps this might account for the possible end of the show -  ATLANTIS  -  they need the budget for hairdos !  

Just what the BBC was lacking - another pseudo historical drama...

BBC One - Atlantis, The Earth Bull

andrew

I expect something like that will cost 7/8 million to make..

I have read it has been worked out that the cost for one series of Stargazing Live is enough to fund The Sky at Night for 7yrs. 

The topic was of active(!) interest at our little Astro Soc meeting. ;)

As a peripheral, though associated issue, there was the "Sale of Farthings" thing.

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html (See page 2 - Kudos Dr May!) :)

As ever(?) journalists getting things wrong? The truth is often far more mundane... 

I sense nothing lost. A good "workout"... a measure of very real feelings re. this stuff.

To all those who signed the petition, beware that by doing so you automatically get opted in to receive the following emails from change.org...

Someone adds me as a friend

I recruit someone to sign a petition

Someone sends me a private message

There is an update to a petition I've signed

Change.org has tips about a petition I've started

There are opportunities to join campaigns that I might find interesting

To all those who signed the petition, beware that by doing so you automatically get opted in to receive the following emails from change.org...

Someone adds me as a friend

I recruit someone to sign a petition

Someone sends me a private message

There is an update to a petition I've signed

Change.org has tips about a petition I've started

There are opportunities to join campaigns that I might find interesting

Yes i also object to this - glad you signed, your one of us type of thing...  

andrew

So S@N is on it's way out then!?  I can only imagine the rationale behind it is due to cost versus viewing figures? Why not put it on now instead of this daft Atlantis thing that's on the tv now and the figures might just improve a bit??

On  a serious note, now SPM has passed, the show can be argued to have lost its allure a little, but the re-invention of its format and the new content and presenting style have added to the show in my view, not detracted from it. It will never be to everyone's taste, but as a viewer since I was a teenager, I can appreciate why some might not like it now it's key member has sadly left us. To be fair, it was never going to be quite the same.  However, it doesn't make the show and better or worse than before, just different.

So now, the BBC intend to pull the show, with little regard for the people who still work on it and present it it appears, and even less regard for the thousands of people who still watch it.  Like everyone else here I pay my licence fee and I disagree with what looks like, a short sighted and arrogant thought process, whereby someone at the Beeb has decided it's a good idea to axe the longest running  tv show with the same presenter ever- a British televisual institution which still gives so much information to many, many people today and nods it's head to the legacy of SPM every time it airs.

But hey, so what, we can just ignore the evident anger now blossoming on the internet and also in the newspaper stories, disregard the anger of tens of thousands of UK licence fee payers and pull the show anyway, just a year after the great man has passed.  Well done Beeb, round of applause from me ;)  Good to see that loyalty is not being misplaced.

Rant over, I'm off to sign the online petition (for what attention the BBC will pay to it)....

First and foremost let me say I have no desire to see tS@N removed from our screens, but I've got to say I'm quite amazed by many of the posts I've been reading. The beeb apparently wants to axe s@n and naturally we're all upset/angry with this but to say "get rid of x show" or "there's too many y shows", well that's just wrong. these shows have obviously got bigger followings than s@n yet you'd be quite happy for each and every one of these viewers to lose their show to justify keeping ours. for me, it just seems to be bringing the worst out of some people and if S@N is saved at the expense of someone else's viewing pleasure, well I think it might leave a bitter taste in my mouth. lets save s@n because it's a good show, not because we think some other program is inferior

S @ N needs to be on at prime-time.

As things stand it on in the graveyard slot on a Sunday when most people are in bed 'cos they have to be up in the morning for work. Then a repeat on a minority channel that few people watch. If they were trying to minimise the viewing figures they are going about it the right way.

Without cutting out any other program there is a slot that could be used.

On a Wednesday "The One Show" runs for an hour, compared to 1/2 hour normally. I don't see why it couldn't be shortened to 1/2 hour once a month to make way for a 1/2 hour S @ N

Atlantis? LOL! Whatever my "Pagan Dalliances" and "non-rationalist world-view"

(don't tell Brian Cox!) it really was PRETTY DIRE viewing though'but? Heheh.  :D

Randomly switching, far better was "More-4"'s, "Portrait of Leslie Phillips".

Glad to see still doing voice-overs for Unctuous-Feline cat food adverts! ;)

S @ N needs to be on at prime-time.

It technically is shown at prime-time, on BBC4 - is a channel that quite often has programmes getting viewerships around the million mark.

However, the channel and time aren't neccessarily the problem. In this age, everyone who watches television has multi-channel access.

A more significant issue - When have you ever seen a BBC promo, trailer or advert for The Sky at Night?

It technically is shown at prime-time, on BBC4 - is a channel that quite often has programmes getting viewerships around the million mark.

However, the channel and time aren't neccessarily the problem. In this age, everyone who watches television has multi-channel access.

A more significant issue - When have you ever seen a BBC promo, trailer or advert for The Sky at Night?

They don't trail S @ N as they are in a way "preaching to the choir", they know they have a ready audience, but don't value it. Perhaps if they trailed the BBC4 repeat more people might watch it.

As I said, it needs to be on in prime-time on a mainstream channel, so although it is on during prime time as a repeat, I'd hardly call BBC4 a mainstream channel. It is what BBC2 used to be, a more exclusive  "highbrow" option.

Another reason for a 7.30 pm slot is that it gives astronomers and potential astronomers the chance to decide their observing if it's a clear night (Yes, we do get them occasionally) so as to be able to get out after the program's finished.

They don't trail S @ N as they are in a way "preaching to the choir", they know they have a ready audience, but don't value it. Perhaps if they trailed the BBC4 repeat more people might watch it.

As I said, it needs to be on in prime-time on a mainstream channel, so although it is on during prime time as a repeat, I'd hardly call BBC4 a mainstream channel. It is what BBC2 used to be, a more exclusive  "highbrow" option.

Another reason for a 7.30 pm slot is that it gives astronomers and potential astronomers the chance to decide their observing if it's a clear night (Yes, we do get them occasionally) so as to be able to get out after the program's finished.

The BBC are pleased to announce that they will be continuing with the monthly edition of The Sky at Night. After much discussion and debate of late, it was decided that the show would be better aired at an earlier time, to enable all astronomers the opportunity to plan their observing sessions........

Somehow, I can't see that one having much mileage... :grin:

OK, perhaps I could have phrased that better.

What I think I was trying to say is that people might watch S @ N and think "That's good, oh, and it's clear tonight, let's go out and have a look"

I suspect that serious astronomers will already have decided their observing program for the evening if it's clear.

OK, perhaps I could have phrased that better.

What I think I was trying to say is that people might watch S @ N and think "That's good, oh, and it's clear tonight, let's go out and have a look"

I suspect that serious astronomers will already have decided their observing program for the evening if it's clear.

Wasn't laughing at ya, was more a, can you imagine... :smiley:

Archived