NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sky at Night - The End

palebluedot

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting article in today's Scotsman newspaper which echos my sentiments about the whole affair exactly.

http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/tv-radio/fiona-mccade-reasons-to-keep-the-sky-at-night-1-3111532

Indeed very nicely put. However imworried that paragraph mentioning Patrick Kielty and celebrity bake offs may have given the BBC some ideas :(

signed, emailed and written; yes an actual ink on paper letter because it carries far more weight when someone sees that you bothered to go to the trouble of writing than if they just see you bothered to tick a box on a computer. I'd urge everyone to write their complaints.

Are we now moving production to Somsert/Devon?

Yep, haven't you heard? They're ditching "At The Castle Gate" and commisioning something from The Worzels :evil:  :mad:

I despair of Autie Beeb, I really do. I think she's finally lost her marbles :mad:

Yep, haven't you heard? They're ditching "At The Castle Gate" and commisioning something from The Worzels :evil:  :mad:

I despair of Autie Beeb, I really do. I think she's finally lost her marbles :mad:

Chris Lintott is from the south-west, I believe.  I want to hear him saying "That be a luverly refraaaactor moi loverrr".

James

Good Article, Scotsman.

I would definitely classify (Orange super-luminary dodgy antique dealer) David Dikinson as "M5p" :D

But such must be "incriminating evidence" (lol) that the commentator has at least SEEN chav daytime TV? :p

I think public broadcasting should cater for all tastes / levels. I can think of nothing worse than being sentenced to watching: "QI" ... "Only Connect"... "Top Gear"... "Sky at Night" (even!). Aside: The idea of science "Sunday Schools" or being "kept at school" (detention?) until twenty one (years) fills me with horror. ;)

I think my (relative) sanity is restored my (sadly only monthly) meeting with fellow amateur astronomers. Ordinary people doing extraordinary things? Rough and ready or ordinary and experienced? But certainly more easy to *relate to* than the p;ethora of "media types" angling to be TV stars and politicians...   :)

Actually, if they do want to make a programme in the south west, I am more than happy to have them film in the field in front of my house.  We're right on the edge of Exmoor, so the sky is pretty good, and it seems to be almost permanently cloudy.  Pretty much everything they need for an S@N outside broadcast, I reckon :)

James

Actually, if they do want to make a programme in the south west, I am more than happy to have them film in the field in front of my house.  We're right on the edge of Exmoor, so the sky is pretty good, and it seems to be almost permanently cloudy.  Pretty much everything they need for an S@N outside broadcast, I reckon :)

James

Ay... :laugh:  It would be great though if they started broadcasting programmes from local clubs and started to get involved more with the amateurs that are out there. That would then make good TV but I'm not convinced they are in the business for doing that.

Perhaps significant, the (slightly overdue?) Brian Cox comment:

"My view on #SaveSkyAtNight - every series is 'tecnically' under

review because budgets aren't allocated indefinitely" (sic)

That is, at least, pragmatic? (Or even "Ultra-naive positive-ish") :p

Any "research scientist" knows that the clock is always ticking.

There are few permanent jobs in science...   ;)

But then, there is the enthusiastic amateur... :)

Perhaps more significant is his preceding comment, "Anyone know where the Sky at Night cancelation story came from, because I have found no evidence of any such daft plan?".

I suspect it is just his opinion and he has not taken the time to find out.

Perhaps more significant is his preceding comment, "Anyone know where the Sky at Night cancelation story came from, because I have found no evidence of any such daft plan?".

Of all the people surely he understands the measure of the disorder and randomness in a closed system.

If it does get the axe off the BBC, I hope that the Discovery Channel will take it on just like they did with "Fifth Gear" recently.

It would fit well within the Discovery Science channel and perhaps even make it into an hour long programme with more professional scientsist coming on to explain things in detail and perhaps they give indepth to the astro news from arround the UK and the rest of the world.

If it does get the axe off the BBC, I hope that the Discovery Channel will take it on just like they did with "Fifth Gear" recently.

It would fit well within the Discovery Science channel and perhaps even make it into an hour long programme with more professional scientsist coming on to explain things in detail and perhaps they give indepth to the astro news from arround the UK and the rest of the world.

Oh, gods no please. :mad:

Don't let it go to a channel we have to pay extra for on Sky (Hawk-spit-ding :mad: ) or Virgin, else their audience will drop even further.

And if the "Quest" channel in Freeview is anything to go by the science content will be totally corrupted. I gave up on Quest after watching an ostensably scientific program where thay talked about degrees Farenheit :eek: .

Archived