NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Noob is an under statement

johngccfc

A registration question on a forum asked "name the fourth planet from the sun' and it took a few stabs ...

Anyway, I'm here.

A few nights ago I looked through a 50x (or 60x) spotter scope and saw the moon. I decided that I need to be able to see more than that so have spent a couple of days swatting and reading about different type of telescopes etc.

And ultimately found my way here.

So 'Hi' all.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, and 'Welcome'!

I'm sure you'll find lots of expertise to help you on your way!

Unfortunately, it won't be from me.... When I got my first scope, I couldn't even take the cap of the eyepiece!

Clear skies...

Welcome John. Everyone on here has had to start somewhere so don't be worried about asking questions. Don't rush into buying your first scope. Try and decide where your main interests lie and ask for advice.

(by the way, what is the fourth planet from the sun :grin: )

Good luck

Jason

Welcome to SGL.

There are some scopes that are better suited to lunar, and they can be fairly inexpensive.

But as has been said, have a think about budget and the whole range of astronomy objects that you would like to see and post up the specifics - we can try and narrow down the options for you.

Cheers

Ant

Hello John, welcome to the forum!

I second Martin's suggestion, Stellarium is a great program and great for sunny days or cloudy nights :-)

There are all kind of nice starter telescopes from 20gbp to 130gbp, that will show a lot of details on the moon but also deepsky objects and planets.

Have fun with your new hobby and always remember:

Don't buy a random telescope from ebay or such before checking here first ;-)

Ciao!

Hi, like you I'm a complete noob with all this but I got my first 'scope and armed with GoogleSky and the book 'Turn Left at Orion' I'm slowly going from 'What's that???' to 'Ohhhh, that's Vega - Sweeeeet!'

There is a fairly steep learning curve but it's fun and interesting and even in light polluted areas there's lots to see.

Ask lots of questions - between all the experts on here, you'll have your answer.

Archived