Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M101 and friends from SGL8

Photosbykev

First Galaxy of 2013 and 5 NGCs :)

Taken with a 7D and 600mm f4 lens at f5.6

30 x 4 minute, 30 x 2 minute and 30 x 1 minute lights at iso 1600 plus 3 x 20 darks and flats and shot in raw, Processed in DSS and then PixInsight and PS

It could be better if I could process this stuff properly but I'm relatively happy with it

m101_raw_dbe_crop_hist_ps_1024.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice. Especially for 3.5 hours total. Taken with your 600L? :)

The stars look like the lens have been stopped down a tiny bit, you didn't run it wide open? Or you get that effect wide open as well on that lens (asuming it's the 600L)?

Very nice. Especially for 3.5 hours total. Taken with your 600L? :)

The stars look like the lens have been stopped down a tiny bit, you didn't run it wide open? Or you get that effect wide open as well on that lens (asuming it's the 600L)?

it was the 600L f4, I stopped the lens down to f5.6 to improve the corners slightly. Normally I forget and shoot wide open :)

reworked after plenty of advice :)probably somewhere between the original and the rework is about right

m101_raw_dbe_crop_hist_hdrwav_colbal.jpg

results from astrometry.net

(RA, Dec) center:(210.798039513, 54.4344375274) degrees

(RA, Dec) center (H:M:S, D:M:S):(14:03:11.529, +54:26:3.975)

Orientation:89.20 deg E of N

Pixel scale:6.67 arcsec/pixel

Parity:Reverse ("Left-handed")

Field size :1.90 x 1.26 degrees

Your field contains:

NGC 5422

NGC 5457 / M 101

NGC 5473

NGC 5474

NGC 5477

NGC 5485

NGC 5486

Really nice seeing M101 with a bit of room around it, nicely done Kev. I prefer the first version I think, is the second version a touch magenta? and maybe slightly over sharpened? I know its all subjective though:)

Really nice seeing M101 with a bit of room around it, nicely done Kev. I prefer the first version I think, is the second version a touch magenta? and maybe slightly over sharpened? I know its all subjective though:)

I need to control the wavelet processing more and yes there is a touch of magenta in there

Nice one Kev, there's a lot of interesting fuzzies around and very nicely captured. Wish I was there on Wednesday! The galaxy colour looks better to me in version 2, but the background seems to have crept up a bit.

Archived