Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Panstarrs from Norfolk, 12th March 2013

Hi all,

Just managed to see and capture Comet Panstarrs from Norfolk this evening. Here's a few with my Canon 450d and 75-300mm Canon Zoom. A nice 'proper' comet with good tail, but rather faint in the twilight glow. Half-second exposures at ISO 800. Please excuse the quality. Theyre highly stretched to enhance the contrast.

Firstly here's the thinnest moon crescent I've ever seen.

8552810004_5f454802f5_c.jpg

Here's a wide field:

8552810574_3f6a6db2d6_c.jpg

And here's the location of the comet and moon in relation to each other. You can just make out the comet in the original, put you probably can't see it here:

8552811144_7df8cc7d5a_c.jpg

here's a closer one of the comet:

8552811870_9983fa665b_c.jpg

And here's a serious crop of the above image:

8552812334_c9e07ea138_c.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luke, cracking shot well done, it's been crystal clear up here in the northwest all day, and surprise surprise get the camera and tripod all good to go and in rolled cloud from the north, astronomy hey, you gotta love it :.)

Tim

Cheers guys, we get a good view of the western horizon from the bedroom window!

The image was taken at about 18:45 this evening and it was definitely higher than the moon.

Great stuff. Splendid. It looked exactly like that for us, too, from a nearby pass. As you say, the thinnest crescent imaginable! When I stepped back from the scope I was shocked to see that it was nearly horizontal so a bit of altidude was being a big help.

Olly

Archived