Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Highlands Stargazer

A McEwan

Hi all!

Antony McEwan here, saying "Hi" in my first post on this forum! :smiley:

I see a few names I recognise and some of you may recognise me. I'm a member of the Highlands Astronomical Society (website www.spacegazer.com) and am keen on observing except that a) in the summer we don't have dark skies, and :evil: in the winter we don't have clear skies! Other than that it's fine!

Got a few scopes (20+ so far and counting...), and enjoying the fleeting glimpses of Comet Holmes at the moment.

Nice to be here,

AM

Welcome to SGL Antony.

We have plenty of members from you neck of the woods. So many people will be understanding of your plight!

Glad your getting to see the comet, it's certainly helped in getting people out and observing even through the small gaps in the clouds.

20 scopes :shock: Have you anything really exotic?

Ant

Thanks!

Not 20+ all at once, that's just what I've had over the years! :smiley: At the moment 'only' four:

ED80

ED100

Orion Optics 6" f8 (with Hilux, curved spider, high grade optics - for sale)

GSO 8" f6 Dob with Hi-Lux coatings and Orion Accufocus.

I have owned among others a TeleVue85 and a Pentax J60, but the others were much more mainstream (ETX, various ST refractors, Skymax 127, 4.5" Newts, Tal 120, etc...)

Was a tad tongue in cheek about our skies - they can be really superb!

AM

Greetings from a fellow Scot and cloud hater. Im from Fraserburgh where the wind doth blow and the stars dont show. I do get the odd occasional clear night which makes this hobby worthwhile. I managed a whole two hours viewing around midnight last night before rain sent me scurrying for cover. Holmes the moon and Orion nebula all excellent despite a fair breeze.

Welcome aboard Antony

Welcome to the forum Anthony. Although we've been chatting a fair bit already :smiley:

Hope you find it useful. It's certainly a happy place to be and plenty of helpful and enthusiastic members about.

I got a first glimpse of that comet last night. Couldn't miss it really, straight away hits you there's something wrong with Perseus.

Regards

Russ

Welcome to the forum Anthony from a fellow (but heavily Anglicised :?) Scot living in Somerset. I remember observing in Scotland as being spending all summer hoping October would be clear and all winter hoping March/April would be clear...

James

Hi all! And Steve, no it wasn't me...yet! May be in the market to try a SupaTrak scope, but that's for the future sometime hopefully! :evil:

Tony, the western Highlands are indeed very popular, but I'm on "The Other Side", near Inverness! Still waiting for skies to clear... :smiley:

Ant

• 2 weeks later...

Archived