Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone got clear skies?

laser_jock99

Just got in - still clear; dew, being very tired & cold stopped play. (busy day today!)

Setting up Dob with dewshields on the relevant finders, plus huge blackout blind attached to the wall to block out neighbour's landing 100 watt light has worked relatively well. Five minutes setting up, five minutes packing away. Saw a good collection of familiar objects from memory as I wanted to ease myself gently back in after a long spell away from the eyepeice.

Might just suggest that people can walk by and see straight into their upstairs...might inspire her to get a curtain or something...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke too soon, the clouds have appeared..

Tell me about it :mad: , think im going to knock it on the head, more cloud than clear spots, satellite image doesn't look good either, there looks like a few showers just north of Liverpool, only just managed to get the roof on earlier after a fleeting shower caught me on the hop :eek: .

I haven't had a solid clear night in weeks. Only got 2 nights where I at least had a 15 minute window due to cloud gaps. I blame it on the 2 speed focuser I got 3 weeks ago. I'm also about to compound the problem since my electric focuser gets delivered tonight.

The last time I participated in one of these types of threads resulted in clouds appearing 5 minutes after posting that I had clear skies so taking a big risk.

But it is clear up here in N. Yorks, Only second night out since moving house and first time with my new CCDT67 focal reducer - currently sucking in photons from M33. 26*5 minute subs so far and keeping my fingers crossed for a good few more.

Finally cleared up, so I've put the imaging kit out to cool. I wont start until Orion clears some trees anyway so that'll be later. Actually, I might get to try my dew system out for the first time too.

The map above kinda explains what I'm seeing I think. That cloud band has finally moved past where I am and hopefully it'll stay clear for a while now.

Edit: actually, that's a forecast. If I use google earth that suggests the cloud band is over, but there's a lull over me at the moment but another thicker band may come over later... so I'm not necessarily all go yet!

Mixed fortune here tonight, patches of clear sky, passing rain showers...... clear again, a SNOW shower had us packing up, then clear again leaving what remained of the group scanning the sky with binoculars. Frozen to the marrow so home earlier than planned.

Eventually got out, managed about twenty minutes imaging of Jupiter before the seeing started to go and then the sky went dark as a large cloud passed over. I wandered over to where I could get a better view of where it was coming from to see if there was clear sky behind it and felt the first raindrops starting to fall, so I rushed to get the laptop and all my other kit indoors.

That seems to be it for tonight :(

James

Still beautiful and crystal clear in oldbury, I've just jumped into bed with a 4am alarm set coz my eyes are stinging from tiredness. Seen 2 meteors so far. Had my first ever look at Orion through binoculars tonight, WOW!!! Is all I can say. What a beautiful piece of sky :-) x

Still clear... 1st use of dew prevention going well :) Got over an hour of data on the flame and horsehead now, although guiding broke at some point. Didn't seem to affect the subs though, as I'm pushing my optics a bit here... seems the lens aberrations are greater than the drift! Will let it run for another 30 mins and aiming to be in bed by 2am! It'll be close to another tree soon after that anyway...

what a good night and very steady seeing, seen orion for the first time with my nirvana what a lovely e.p., cant wait for my new 28mm next week.seen 1 meteor and as usual jupiter was stunning at 300x, roll on the cold nights

Archived