Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My star party packing list now spans two excel spreadsheets!

One spreadsheet covers all the camping gear and cold/wet/warm weathering clothing

The astro stuff spreadsheets covers about 130 items! This includes everything from scopes, mounts, cameras, filters, leads etc., right down to oddments such as tweezers, black electrical tape, screw drivers and spare batteries.

Yes, the list is a bit retentive, but it does mean I don't tend to forget stuff. Whilst at SGL8 I could nip home and get stuff and be back inside 2 hours, at Kelling Heath this would be a 9 hour round trip!

We have a couple of standard cool bags, used at Kelling and they were fine. Though I suspect given the time of year and the expected temperature, you could probably leave everything in a normal cardboard box outside your tent, and it will stay plenty cold enough :grin:

We have a couple of standard cool bags, used at Kelling and they were fine. Though I suspect given the time of year and the expected temperature, you could probably leave everything in a normal cardboard box outside your tent, and it will stay plenty cold enough :grin:

Though wouldn't want to take a risk on letting the cider get warm...

I forgot I was over 50 and thought I'd be ok in a 2 man coffin tent. I was so so wrong !....

I tried that on my 1st SGL star party and nearly froze to death (well it felt that way !).

I've bought the caravan ever since I'm afraid :embarrassed:

I'm going totally retro.... one of the old hard cool boxes with the blue plastic thingies that you put in the freezer for a couple of days before hand!! Room enough for sausages, bacon and beer!

I always use the old cool box with the freezer blocks. Frozen stuff at the bottom, then the blocks, then anything else like butter, mushrooms, eggs, milk etc on top.

My kit list for my first star party (just me):

• 2 man tent (Ultra quasar)
  • MSR stove
  • Thermarest
  • Sleeping bag
  • 127 Mak
  • Beer

My kit list for this year (wife, daughter and me):

• Huge tent (Outwell Montana 6)
  • Tent carpet and furniture
  • Double stove and kitchen supplies
  • 2 airbeds (1 king size, 1 single)
  • Sleeping bags
  • Kettle, lights, computer, heater
  • Powered cold box
  • 300 Dob, Lunt solar scope
  • Wine

Andrew

My first time at SGL, and first time camping since I was about 11 and Im now 23. Managed to persuade the wife to come along.

Here is our list, let us know if we are severely under prepared :D

• 3 Man Double lined tent

• Tent Carpet

• Stove & utensils, bowls, plates etc

• kettle

• Very thick (hopefully warm) sleeping bags

• 2 Camping tables

• 4 Camping chairs

• Cooler (not powered)

• Ground sheets

• Beer & Wine

• Bacon, Eggs, Sausage & bread :p

• LOTS of thermal wear

No idea what sort of heater to get, what to cover my scope with during day and also sorry if this sounds stupid but do I need anything to hook up to the EHU pitch? Or can I just bring a plug along lol?

Thanks in advance, cant wait now :D

Steve

You'll need a proper camping lead - similar to http://www.amazon.co...61294275&sr=8-1

Heater - fan heater. Never ever use a gas heater in a tent

Scope Cover - http://www.green-wit...agw_2dscopecoat or a piece of tarp - but bear in mind that most people will have their kit 'on show' during the day, while they tinker.....

It WILL be colder than you think!!

I think you missed beer and Jaffa Cakes.......

Pillows, bring you usual ones in a black sac.

Washing up bowl , yeh I know.

Water container, 2l pop bottle will do.

Handwipes.

Earplugs, they'll help you sleep, hopefully in the day.

EHU cabled, preferably with a rcd. There's plenty small fan heaters around, not expert on this or electrical.Think Maplins or Gooutdoors are starter places to look.

A tarp with a few bungee cables will cover the scope, although with a big tent / car you'd best take it inside in case of weather.You can always splash out for a scope cover,

Nick.

My first time at SGL, and first time camping since I was about 11 and Im now 23. Managed to persuade the wife to come along.

Here is our list, let us know if we are severely under prepared :D

Don`t forget to have something between you and the ground i.e. air bed or foam mattress.

I don`t trust air beds myself, I use a self inflating foam mattress which although quite thin, I can trust it to do the job.

Don't forget the hot water bottles! Remember you'll probably be going to bed cold, so some extra heat to start with with be very welcome! I took earplugs and a eyeshade last time and it made sleeping in after a very late night a bit easier.

Helen

Cheers for the replies, Im glad I asked now :D

Just got that EHU lead linked by daz, an electric fan heater & a tarp sheet to cover scope if it does rain.

We have a air bed and will be using a blanket underneath also.

Water bottles is a great idea also, wont be coming without :)

Cheers for the replies, Im glad I asked now :D

Just got that EHU lead linked by daz, an electric fan heater & a tarp sheet to cover scope if it does rain.

We have a air bed and will be using a blanket underneath also.

Water bottles is a great idea also, wont be coming without :)

Steve, some people also bring a toilet tent to cover their scopes. These are often euphemistically called 'utility' or 'shower' tents by camping retailers. They can be quite roomy, I just manage to fit my EQ6 and SW MN 190 without the scope touching the sides.

http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/detail.asp?p=468

Archived