SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These days I wouldn't trust a 24hr forecast let alone a 16 day one... lets hope its wrong...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

I don't trust the same day forecast lol the offical SGL8 weekend forecast does look better but we'll see when we wake up :)

I'm now turbo excited about this.... I'm like a 12 year old waiting for Christmas in September, it's all I'm thinking about!

Me too... But part of that is 'How am I gonna get everything in my car!' Lol

Me too... But part of that is 'How am I gonna get everything in my car!' Lol

Yup, we had a practise of getting the scope boxes in the car today & there seems very little room for anything else :Envy: Is there a more sensible way of transporting 2 scopes than in their original boxes?

My SGL ..try to see galaxies in a small scope set up is nearly ready.

This time the challenge is to see as many galaxies in a 90mm Meade I bought for £20 off ebay..

Let's see if we can beat the total from last year using the 76mm table top dob!

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

post-1454-136229509022_thumb.jpg

My SGL ..try to see galaxies in a small scope set up is nearly ready.

This time the challenge is to see as many galaxies in a 90mm Meade I bought for £20 off ebay..

Let's see if we can beat the total from last year using the 76mm table top dob!

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Now that's a fun challenge!

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Yup, we had a practise of getting the scope boxes in the car today & there seems very little room for anything else :Envy: Is there a more sensible way of transporting 2 scopes than in their original boxes?

I lay my mn190 on the back seats mounted on two of the polystyrene semicircular packaging blocks that came with the scope. I then pack my bedding and pillows etc around it. This saves s lot of room.

We also use the semicircular blocks for our dob.

I lay my mn190 on the back seats mounted on two of the polystyrene semicircular packaging blocks that came with the scope. I then pack my bedding and pillows etc around it. This saves s lot of room.

That's a great idea - but there will be 4 people in my car :Envy: We'll get it all in even if OH has to ride on the roof!

You could slide the jaffa cakes and cans of beer inside the MN190 tube to protect them ;)

Next weekend I'll be checking out everything again - although it was last used in late Jan. Last year we got a roof rack with a Mount Blanc thing on the top - this helps as you can put all the camping gear in there without the issue of other things getting wet and having an additional person required the additional space. This year my wheelie battery thing has helped reduce the amount of kit needing transport but it's always a squeeze once you have beer in too ;D

I'd ensure you pack so the tent is the first thing you can get access too. Charge your power packs ready for the first night.

I put my tent up today in the back garden just to check all was well, did the same with the air bed and a few other bits

My tent with the guide ropes down seems quite wide and imagining the car next to it seems like it will have to be a big pitch.

Oh I forgot to say - the age old question "Where's north?" .. from the rally field, it's pointing towards the entrance - so I'd put the tent against the fence and run the scope setup on the opposite side (assuming you're not targetting low northern targets. The rise will be over the hill then right over to the horizon over the lake.

I'll be there from monday with Sandrine so if you need help give me a shout.

Oh I forgot to say - the age old question "Where's north?" .. from the rally field, it's pointing towards the entrance - so I'd put the tent against the fence and run the scope setup on the opposite side (assuming you're not targetting low northern targets. The rise will be over the hill then right over to the horizon over the lake.

I'll be there from monday with Sandrine so if you need help give me a shout.

Im arriving Tuesday, not being a very 'Camping' person ive bought everything popup but that said i should find something i need to do which without assistance i'd kill myself. :eek:

Either way i'll be over to say hi & bore you with many obvious questions, dont worry there will be beer & jaffa cakes :grin:

Archived