Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

daz

SGL 8 - General Banter

I can't believe you're packed already - I only got a ticket on Friday :Envy: Still getting my head around going to our first starparty!

Just bought a new scope though, specially for the event (well that was my excuse anyway) - hope it's clear now :smiley:

Luckily I have a Focus Estate. Even then, it tends to be crammed full of stuff. I tend to bring loads of stuff to cover all sorts of contingenies, so there are loads of spares, tools etc. My (very comprehensive) packing list covers two sides of A4!

My mum has one of those i may have to borrow it

Right, I Know we might all be knackered from late nights/beer/cold etc...but i'm going to head into the brecons on the saturday morning for a quick scoot up Pen-Y-Fan. If anyone fancies joining me feel free to drop me a line or come and grab me on pitch 66 (George B). We should have a couple of spare seats in the car if you fancy it. After all, the Brecons are now officially a UK dark sky sight so it might be worth having a look during the day as well!

Glenn.

Can't beat the views of the Beacons from Pen-y-Fan... Best view of Pen-y-Fan itself is probably from the mountain centre in Libanus.

• Like 1

Can't beat the views of the Beacons from Pen-y-Fan... Best view of Pen-y-Fan itself is probably from the mountain centre in Libanus.

And the food at the Mountain Centre is great too :-)Helen

Hi Glenn,

I may be interested in a trip up Pen - y - Fan, if I have managed to survive the week!

I will root out my maps of the area plus walking boots.

It has been a number of years since I last went up that mountain.

I was on Whernside in the Dales last weekend in snow.

I will be at pitch 17 Kingfisher in an Outwell Trout Farm 4 tent.

Cheers

Adrian

Cripes. I remember I went up Pen-y-Fan on a holiday when I was about 8, can't remember any more about it than the fact of having done it though. I'll see what my energy is like by Saturday...

Hi Kevin,

It seems that there may be a number of people interested in the walk.

The only thing is that we must get back for the Hog Roast on Saturday evening.

By the way, I was in Sainsburys yesterday and they are doing McVities Jaffa Cakes for half price,

Twin pack costs £1.10 I am going to buy my packs this week for SGL8.

Cheers

Adrian

That shoud read george b...not george smiley face!

I'll be George Smiley-Face when I turn in at dawn after a successful night og bagging faint-fuzzies. In which case, I will only be hiking as far as the New Inn at Fownhope!

Alec_Guiness_dans_le_role_de_George-.jpg

I'll be George Smiley-Face when I turn in at dawn after a successful night og bagging faint-fuzzies. In which case, I will only be hiking as far as the New Inn at Fownhope!

The New Inn is a staggering 3 Km away from the campsite, or should that be 'staggering back' :smiley:

Hi,

There is the New Moon Inn in Mordiford which is a hiking 1 mile away.

They do good food and I have always found the locals there to be very welcoming

and friendly.

Cheers

Adrian

The New Inn is a staggering 3 Km away from the campsite, or should that be 'staggering back' :smiley:

Thankfully the more aptly-named Moon Inn is only 1km away :D

There is the New Moon Inn in Mordiford which is a hiking 1 mile away.

Bah, beat me to it! It's just "Moon Inn" but that would be even more apt considering the time of the Month that SGL is always planned for! ;)

• Like 1

Ok, so this is my first star party, so not really sure what to expect etc, but having heard/read so much about astronomers eating Jaffa cakes, I asked my other half to get me a couple of packs on his bi-monthly trip to CostCo... This is what he came back with!

Do you think I have enough?

post-24939-0-55014100-1361996289_thumb.j

• Like 5

Ok, so this is my first star party, so not really sure what to expect etc, but having heard/read so much about astronomers eating Jaffa cakes, I asked my other half to get me a couple of packs on his bi-monthly trip to CostCo... This is what he came back with!

And the winner of the most visited pitch during SGL8 goes to ..... :) :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry, but that supply will only last a few mins with stsrgazing locusts!

• Like 1

Sorry, but that supply will only last a few mins with stsrgazing locusts!

*goes back to CostCo... Sigh...*

saturday sale... "how about if I chuck in a packet of jaffa cakes"

Is that a 'free scope'' with ever packet of jaffa cakes???? :wink:

• Like 2

I like this CostCo lark. I will try asking my missus if she can pick up a "couple" of bottles of whisky at CostCo.

I asked my other half to get me a couple of packs on his bi-monthly trip to CostCo... This is what he came back with!

• Like 1

that should be ok for the first night :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

• Like 1

For those of us braving SGL8 from Monday 11th the forecast is looking 'interesting'. Better pack the wellies and extra films :)

post-4594-0-26102300-1362160152_thumb.jp