SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

Steve, some people also bring a toilet tent to cover their scopes. These are often euphemistically called 'utility' or 'shower' tents by camping retailers. They can be quite roomy, I just manage to fit my EQ6 and SW MN 190 without the scope touching the sides.

http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/detail.asp?p=468

I have a big BBQ cover from Argos which fits on the 16" LB. I think it was around £20.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really looking forward to it! Must start my list of things to take!

One quick question: Are Tesco Everyday Value Jaffa cakes valid currency?

:hiding:

Scoundrel....

Fancy considering passing anything else off as Jaffa Cakes.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Unless it warms up a bit, its going to be seriously cold at SGL8, I'm out and about in the dead of night and at the minute it's getting down to -3 or 4. I froze my whatnots off last year and it was warmer than it is now.

Dont do what I did last year and underestimate how cold it will be. I had to make regular trip to the toilet block just to warm up, so glad ill have heat in my tent this year. I'm taking no chances this year and will be dressed for a polar expedition.

Astronut is bringing his best hot water bottle - me! I usually cave in much earlier than him, so the air bed gets pre-heated for him ( jammy, eh?!).

He's moving in with me tomorrow...wish him luck (he may need it!) :D

Unless it warms up a bit, its going to be seriously cold at SGL8, I'm out and about in the dead of night and at the minute it's getting down to -3 or 4. I froze my whatnots off last year and it was warmer than it is now.

Dont do what I did last year and underestimate how cold it will be. I had to make regular trip to the toilet block just to warm up, so glad ill have heat in my tent this year. I'm taking no chances this year and will be dressed for a polar expedition.

Olly P's was -13 plus the wind chill. I had four layers on my head, 6 layers on my body (including coverage of neck), two pairs of socks and gloves... luckily the setup could be controlled remotely from the warm!

I'll be well wrapped this year and far more in-tune with the imaging setup :D

I can recommend the silver lining you use for putting behind the radiators that's available at most good DIY centres. Put under the sleeping bags and above the airbed really reflects heat.

We use an electric oil radiator in the sleeping section as the tent double lining within that section keeps the heat in nicely.

Only 3 weeks to go now for me, I think by next week we should have some idea of what weather awaits us. Probably a lot colder as last year it was almost summer-like during the day (even picked up a bit of sunburn on my bonce... in March!).

Only 3 weeks to go now for me, I think by next week we should have some idea of what weather awaits us. Probably a lot colder as last year it was almost summer-like during the day (even picked up a bit of sunburn on my bonce... in March!).

It was a great week, clear skies day and night but there was a still a frost on the tents first thing in the morning :)

Looking at the reports from the previous dues I would love to come, but unfortunately was no way of me sorting anything out this year! Maybe next time!

I really do hope the weather stays clear for you all, have a great time, and I look forwards to the reports and pic after! :D

Ive put my back out doing that dance!!!!

One of my issues with kit is that my tent is a Quechua Pop Up Tent, its fantastic, less then 5 mins to put up, but becuase its one piece it packs down into a large flat circle so its not as practical packed away as the bagged tents you guys have. My vango moon chair is quite a large bag once its down aswell.

I dont think BMW 325 Compacts were designed with camping in mind

I dont think BMW 325 Compacts were designed with camping in mind

Luckily I have a Focus Estate. Even then, it tends to be crammed full of stuff. I tend to bring loads of stuff to cover all sorts of contingenies, so there are loads of spares, tools etc. My (very comprehensive) packing list covers two sides of A4!

I can recommend the silver lining you use for putting behind the radiators that's available at most good DIY centres. Put under the sleeping bags and above the airbed really reflects heat.

I use a memory foam mattress topper (as recommended by RobH).

Not only does it provide superb insulation, it also makes for a mega-comfortable sleep Zzzzzz ...

Archived