SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

As its getting quite close now I was wondering if I had missed this? Quoting from the SGL 8 info page:

Welcome Pack

Once the bookings are all completed, you will be sent a Welcome Pack - please ensure you register booking with a valid EMAIL address! - which will contain all the relevant information for the Star Party: Site Map, Meal Tickets, Name Badges, Tent Label, Pitch Allocation, etc.

Only really use the one email address and can't see anything in my inbox or spam folder. Have I missed the mail or is it still to come?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As its getting quite close now I was wondering if I had missed this? Quoting from the SGL 8 info page:

Only really use the one email address and can't see anything in my inbox or spam folder. Have I missed the mail or is it still to come?

I asked the other day, it's coming soon :)

Hoping the local hostelry has a telly tuned to the rugby for Saturday afternoon.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

I need to find somewhere that will play the repeat of the F1 otherwise I'll be testing the Hereford 3G coverage to the limit :)

Yes, I have sent the initial Welcome Email

Tent badges and stuff I am getting printed and laminated, your Hog/Veg tickets will be given on arrival.

The email addresses used were the ones you used when placing the booking, not necessarily the same as the ones for SGL!

I need to find somewhere that will play the repeat of the F1 otherwise I'll be testing the Hereford 3G coverage to the limit :)

Wooohoo F1, We may have to fight for the 3G Coverage :mad: I'm calling dibs on all the 3G in Hare LOL :grin:

Yep got the initial message thanks

The email addresses used were the ones you used when placing the booking, not necessarily the same as the ones for SGL!

For me that's the same address so it makes life simple :D

Thanks for the reply :D

Are my eyes deceiving me or is SGL 8 not in the Forum calendar? :eek:

I wondered about that too, but then decided it was probably a deliberate omission to stop the poor folks who can't go from getting jealous! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Glorious weather yesterday here in south London it was really warm, hope it's the same for next week. All the camping gear assembled in the hall waiting. Gonna pull the scope down tomorrow and give everything a good clean.

Might have to have a practice packing the car tomorrow to make sure it all goes in. :embarrassed:

I'll be getting everything sorted and pack on Sunday, still need to go through the loft to find a tent, not sure if any of the ones we've got are complete or in working order, otherwise it'll be a quick trip down to Halfords or Argos.

the long range wether forecast looks promising !

Got home from my night shift..opened the cupboard and low and behold the other half has only gone and bought jaffa cakes....I asked her why and she said "well that's what they eat at these astronomy parties!"....Shall I wind her up and make her eat nothing but for the first few days...or be nice since she's actually coming to watch me geek out...?

With the not-too-optimistic weather forecast for next week, I've just bought a Canon 50mm lens to use for wide field shots on my Canon 1000D DSLR. With all the time it takes to get the imaging rig up and running (30 to 90 minutes after polar aligning - depending upon how co-operative the technology wants to be), I figure that using my 1000D with a 50mm lens with my Astrotrac should at least allow me to have a really quick set up and hopefully knock off some quick wide field shots in the gaps in the clouds.

Got the same worries about the weather here too. Next Friday has sleet/snow on the cards so for the first night at least, the equipment might not get unpacked. Its set to be -4 too, so thats going to be a fun night... not. :)

Got the same worries about the weather here too. Next Friday has sleet/snow on the cards so for the first night at least, the equipment might not get unpacked. Its set to be -4 too, so thats going to be a fun night... not. :)

You broke the first rule!!! Don't mention the weather!!!

That sounds like a good plan, Michael. I've been thinking with all this bad weather that an Astrotrac would be nice.

My main plan for a quick setup will be not to lock my car keys in the boot again! :BangHead::grin:

With the not-too-optimistic weather forecast for next week, I've just bought a Canon 50mm lens to use for wide field shots on my Canon 1000D DSLR. With all the time it takes to get the imaging rig up and running (30 to 90 minutes after polar aligning - depending upon how co-operative the technology wants to be), I figure that using my 1000D with a 50mm lens with my Astrotrac should at least allow me to have a really quick set up and hopefully knock off some quick wide field shots in the gaps in the clouds.

This is my first star party, first dark star site & first time camping, i will be gutted if we don't get any clear nights. :crybaby2:

That said the exercise of packing up and disappearing will be good as i want to see how easy/hard it is to pack, drive to work and disappear for a long weekend after work on a Friday night.

Still praying to the weather gods though

My first star party - in fact my first time taking the scope out of my back garden. Looking forward to it, just hope for some clear skies. I've done a lot of family camping so my existing checklist just needs to be shortened to essentials and then expanded for my astro gear :grin:

I'm going to restrict my catering gear to electric kettle, tea bags and mug - the cafe seems to come with good recommendations :grin:

I'm going to restrict my catering gear to electric kettle, tea bags and mug - the cafe seems to come with good recommendations :grin:

My catering equipment will be a Trangia stove and various pasta meals. I've booked for the hog roast, so that ones sorted.

Might stretch to cooking eggs and bacon for brunch, just to annoy everyone else! Nothing like the smell of bacon to annoy other campers :-D

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Archived