Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The three season approach

stevetynant

I only bought my scope in January this year - so this is my first year properly observing - the learning curve was quite steep starting off from zero but along the way I've gained a bit of knowledge, met some great people and now more importantly feel reasonably confident in what I'm doing.

My enthusiasm when I first started was off the scale - every night checking the curtains to see whether there were clear skies - constantly tired in the days from staying out in the early hours of the morning. Thankfully my enthusiasm is still there but the last few months have been so frustrating with poor weather and the light nights - it was not something I was really prepared for or even considered. But I've used the time to get my kit upgraded and modded am ready to start again.

I've decided though that Astronomy for me at least is a three season hobby - it ends at the beginning of May and will start again Mid August (although the Bins are always to hand for the odd deck chair session) I think this approach has a lot of advantages.

It keeps you fresh and enthusiastic - my other great love is rugby but when playing and now watching - at the end of each season I was not looking forward to the next match - over saturation had happened I guess but a summer break (with the odd Lions tour to look forward to) and I was ready and excited for the new season to start. I feel the same about astronomy now although for me as a new starter to the hobby it will feel like starting over again but this time armed with a lot more knowledge (I'm hoping to be at about 50 Messiers by the end of the winter this time around)

Removes the frustration - you would think the winter would be worse weather but I seem to remember more clear nights after January than I have during so this so called summer of ours and at least you don't have the light nights to contend with.

Gives me time to save for new equipment and upgrading / modding my kit whilst not using it.

I think this is going to work for me and judging by a lot of other posts on this forum I think it may help others to chill out in the down time.

I apreciate I may be missing out on some things during the summer months that I won't see in the winter but for the time being think its price worth paying - can always reevaluate next year I guess.

Just a thought

Steve

Completely agree with everything you said Steve.

Towards the end of the spring and people on here were talking about packing up for the summer I just couldn't believe that they could just stop like that, something that you put so much time and dedication towards surely just can't stop like that??!!

Now I completely see where they were coming from and next year I will be doing the same and looking at other activities to keep me busy (I've always wanted to do touring kayaking so thats probably what I'II do).

You mention your goal with the Messiers aswell.

Thats something else I've recently thought about. I started off just 'bagging' the Messiers as if it were some kind of race to tally more up and reach the magic 110. I've reached 69 objects now and realised that although I've seen a lot of sights I've also missed so much aswell. Finding an object, changing mags and ticking it off after 15 minutes of viewing doesn't do the Messier objects justice IMO.

If anyone wants to understand what REALLY can be viewed in the Messier 110 then buy Stephen O'Meara's 'The Messier Objects.

Its funny but even after such a short time in the hobby your opinions and views on it can change drastically!

I have come to the same conclusion, the scopes are packed away and only get modded during this my 3rd summer. Each one has been pants and to be honest I have better things to do and need a break from it. Even more so as an imager who wants 4+ hours of proper dark which is impossible at the moment.

The observatory is currently the home of the spiders for the summer ;)

I suppose it depends a bit on your location, up here in North East England its a bit pointless starting to get back into observing until at least later in the month, that is even if the weather wasn't continually terrible. It just makes for something to look forward to though, and yep do or plan to do other - Summer, activities.

Tend to go from Equinox to equinox, any nights between are considered a bonus.

Notice that the Institute of Astronomy at Cambridge do the same. Their public evenings tend to follow that pattern.

As you're in S Wales wouldn't you follow Wet and Dry seasons ? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I've decided though that Astronomy for me at least is a three season hobby - it ends at the beginning of May and will start again Mid August (although the Bins are always to hand for the odd deck chair session) I think this approach has a lot of advantages.

Steve

Bit like the Premiership football season. :D

Well put Steve - it's pretty much what I have done this year. I might pop out at the end of July to see what is going on. :)

I am also one of those observers who packs up my gear during the "summer". It will be end of August/early Sept before i take the scopes out. I'm glad i didnt store my scope (8SE) outside over the summer in the garden bench i bought for the purpose. It would probably be rusted by now with all the rain..........even though the bench storage is water/moisture tight.

Four seasoner me. I'm up for observing any chance I get. We don't get many clear nights in this country so I'm not missing any chance I get. Only the two weeks around the longest day I'll miss as these are silly short nights. Down here in south London it does get dark enough the rest of the year though, so I'm out observing.

The only thing I don't do is drive hours to very dark sites at this time of year as its just mot worth it for the few hours of darkness there is.

Haven't actually had a season yet. Bought the scope in April and it's been outside once then back inside. I have managed to use the time to fiddle around and get to know it, collimating etc etc so hopefully when the time comes I won't lose too much time. That's the plan anyway!

2012 really has been a "Annus horribilis". I cant remember such a bad year weatherwise. Honestly i dont think my scope has been outside since the end of March.

This year, we have had the wettest April,May and June since records began and July is shaping up to continue the trend.

Agreed, the weather has been terrible the past few months, but forever the optimist I still twitch the curtains once in a while...you never know... there's planetary and lunar after all, not forgetting solar (obviously not at night!).

To be honest I'm itching to get a bit of darkness back at the end of the month, can't wait to get out with the scope for a few hours... it's been too long :eek: The constant cloud has just emptied my pockets... but not my enthusiasm :rolleyes:

Four seasoner me. I'm up for observing any chance I get. We don't get many clear nights in this country so I'm not missing any chance I get. Only the two weeks around the longest day I'll miss as these are silly short nights. Down here in south London it does get dark enough the rest of the year though, so I'm out observing.

The only thing I don't do is drive hours to very dark sites at this time of year as its just mot worth it for the few hours of darkness there is.

I'm quite happy to grab a couple of hours of viewing if it's clear enough. I'm paranoid about missing the gems of summer like Sagitarius and Scorpio- if you leave it too long they'll be gone before you know it. They really need to be seen by August & September.

As a relative beginner there's still been plenty for me to chase in the summer even without full darkness. The weather has been more frustrating, it's been over a fortnight since I've been able to get any night-time observing done, though I have managed to get a look at the Sun on a few days since.

Strangely enough I sat outside our caravan in cardigan last night at about 1 am and the sky was clear as a bell.absolutely fantastic see ing the stars outside if only for a short time.good to know the enthusiasm still burns bright even if the awful weather has stopped any actual observing. It really was an absolute pleasure to see the heavens again last night after what seems an eternity.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I'm with you on that with the weather we get I try to get out every opportunity I can

I like observing early evening. So for me May, June and July are non starters. It'll probably be mid to late August (weather permitting) before the scope comes out.

Stuff up there has been there billions of years - it's not going anywhere in the next few months ;)

I have never really knew or learnt the summer night sky at all. That was something I was determined to put right this year and started to get to know some stuff like M13 etc. And then the weather set in. Its just so bad its starting to get funny.

Oh, well, there's always next year.

On the subject of weather a couple of years ago I told a US friend from Colorado who married a English girl and now lives here about how bad our summer weather can be, referencing the summer of 2007 which was equally sodden. He didn't believe it could be that wet and said I was exaggerating! After this summer he has apologised to me !!! :)

I have never really knew or learnt the summer night sky at all. That was something I was determined to put right this year and started to get to know some stuff like M13 etc. And then the weather set in. Its just so bad its starting to get funny.

Oh, well, there's always next year.

:) I feel the same. We just haven't had enough time under the stars to learn the summer constellations. Oh well....winters coming and I'II soon be able to look up and recognise something!

Having lived in California most of my life has given me a new appreciation for the clear nights here in the UK. I now see Observing here as being be a part time hobby, a hobby of opportunity, and having a scope setup and ready at a moments notice. It's kind of like having a camera at the ready, in case you spot a polar bear while trecking through the desert.

EDIT: Got to think positive !

I get so few opportunities to observe (at night - the days at least are yielding some solar observing currently) that I take the chances when they come. it's no hassle to get the scope out and even out it back if conditions worsen. I do appreciate having a smaller and a larger scope though for all eventualities.

packing up is something I do after each session anyway :laugh:

Archived